UKC

The Shee today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 30 Jan 2014

In a nutshell: brilliant snow, shame about the vis.

I skied my brains out on Meall Odhar (keeping a hopeful eye on Glas Maol, but it never opened). It was a bit misty. But it was great.

Because of the mist, I sacked the Cunning Plan to skin up Glas Maol and maybe on to Carn an Tuirc. In that mist, there's simply no point in doing the ascents. And on the descent you have to ski really slowly, because you can't see a thing.

The snow is deeper than I've ever seen it--the lifts are a whole lot lower than usual. There's plenty of windslab about, and avalanche debris even on Meall Odhar. So watch it if you're up there tomorrow or the weekend. (But if you can read a weather forecast, or aren't trying for some sort of civilian award, I doubt you will be up there.)

Anyone else got feedback? I'm particularly interested in whether it was sunny at Glencoe and Aonach Mor. I got up too late to go to either, and anyway I didn't want to drive 2 hrs and maybe face a wind closure... but I'd be interested to know what I missed
Post edited at 19:54
Douglas Griffin 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

> The snow is deeper than I've ever seen it

Not surprised; it's been cool and there's been a lot more precipitation than normal in the north-east.
https://twitter.com/dgriffinphoto/status/428858070844731392
Tim Chappell 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

That's right. Funny about the Lecht, though. They've only just opened.
Slugain Howff 30 Jan 2014

The sun came out in Glencoe.

I've an early start,despite the grim forecast, around Carn an Tuirc in the morning

But "The Shee" ffs...that sounds worse than the Norries! Who came up with that.

S

Tim Chappell 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Slugain Howff:

It's what my mates call it. Sorry and everything.
 Seocan 30 Jan 2014

'the shee', aye, get a grip.How about the Cairnwell, as thats where it is.
Tim Chappell 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Seocan:
Actually the Cairnwell is not where it was.

Still, since it annoys you and Slugain so much...

...I shall keep doing it
Post edited at 21:21
 Seocan 31 Jan 2014
> Actually the Cairnwell is not where it was.

Tim, as you obviously don't know where you started off. I didn't mean Cairnwell, the hill, but Cairn Well. That's where you started off. Follow the Cairnwell burn up to its source, at the water shed, which is round about where the mast is in the top carpark. That's the Cairn Well. The Cairn well is at the bealach between Glen Clunie, and Glean Beag.
Glen shee on the other hand is a good few miles down the Blairgowrie road.
Unless you took the long way round you started off at Cairn Well.

Tim Chappell 31 Jan 2014

What I was actually hoping for on this thread was to hear how people got on skiing, if they did. Any chance of that?
 Niall B 31 Jan 2014

Glencoe was good. Bit of crust mid hill and very good on the top third. Widespread cover high up and some sun in the afternoon with light winds (in a Scottish hills sort of way). Anyone who tells you skiing to the car park was possible was on a pair of hire skis though. Car park full at 1pm.
Cheers
Tim Chappell 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Niall B:
The Shee/ Glenshee was really excellent today too, provided you don't mind skiing in a whiteout and a 30mph wind. At one point I was going down the Slalom run at Claybokie and leaning on the wind, as you do, and for a moment, as it does, the wind just stopped. I fell over like a drunk missing the bar
Post edited at 22:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...