UKC

Malta, looking for cheap rooms, preferably Southwest side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarpedon 31 Jan 2014
My research on the internet finds plenty of lodging on the wrong side of the island. Ideally I am looking for something in the town of Zurrieq, walking distance to some very nice crags. Any recommendations?
 Simon Alden 31 Jan 2014
In reply to I_hang_dog:

There's not much in the way of holiday accommodation in Zurrieq...will you have a car? Malta's so small that where you stay doesn't really matter although crossing the island by bus if you haven't got a car can take a while due to traffic. Most climbers stay in the Sliema/ St. Julian's area or St. Paul's Bay area.
In reply to I_hang_dog:

Hi, the best advice I can give you, if you have not already done so, is get in touch with a chap called Andrew Warrington from MCA adventures. (Do a quick search of the forums and you may bump into his posts).
Having climbed in Malta a fair bit over the last 4 years, I found myself sans climbing buddy on a visit towards the end of last year so had a look for a guide and after doing so research, decided to try out Andrew and his team. They had great reviews but not many from keen climbers but still looked worth a punt. Turns out , it was a really good call, for the following reasons:
1) you could not meet a nicer more genuine person
2) he is the co author and major contributor to the most up to date guidebook for Malta,
3) which is already no longer in print so very hard to get hold of,
4) but if you ask him nicely he will probably be able to lend you one,
5) but more importantly it is already out of date and Andrew can suggest and take you to the new areas that suit your climbing level and style.

So if the budget will stretch to his very reasonable guiding fees, I strongly advise you make use of them as you won't be disappointed .

Lastly I just want to make it clear that I don't work for Andrew, and he is not paying me a cut of his hard earned income, I think we tend to complain about bad service too easily but rarely give praise for the good, so this is my stab at good karma.
I had a really good time with these guys, so want to share the love. Please get in touch with him, even just for a bit of beta, but of you do go out climbing together, let me know how it went . Hope you have an awesome trip!
 splat2million 04 Feb 2014
In reply to I_hang_dog:

If you're going off season car hire is cheap as chips. I paid 35 euros for hire for a week from Hertz. Almost everywhere has free on street parking (except Valetta) and it is so small you can stay anywhere really.
Also some of the good hotels have better off season prices than the budget accommodation making them the same price so you can get more for your money if you choose carefully. We got a four star hotel in Mellieha for cheaper than a backpacker hostel in Sliema.
 Simon Alden 04 Feb 2014
In reply to taddersandbadger:

Actually Stevie Haston, Jeff Camilleri (Malta's top local climber) and I produced a new guidebook to sport climbing in Malta just a couple of months ago featuring over 520 routes...its available from Cordee
In reply to coverdale:

And right you are! I stand corrected, I did not know it was out but have just ordered a copy off the website, am and looking forward to having a nose before the next pilgrimage back to Malta.
Well done and thanks so much for sharing the love.
 Simon Alden 05 Feb 2014
In reply to taddersandbadger:

No problem...give me a call if you'd like to do a route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...