UKC

Bike Traps at Sherwood Pines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to ChrisJD:

True, but also a lot of remarkably un-selfaware mountain bikers.

jcm
SethChili 31 Jan 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think it is a bit harsh to say that mountain bikers can be in any way to blame for popping their own tires
If you are bombing alon a trail at some speed in a low light forest environment it is hard to see small objects in front of you .
No one expects to have to deal with this kind of dangerous idiocy perpetrated by first rate twits .
In reply to SethChili:

I didn't say they were. But they don't seem to get why so many people hate them either.

jcm

> I didn't say they were. But they don't seem to get why so many people hate them either.

> jcm

Speaking in generalities does no one any favours, least of yourself.
OP ChrisJD 31 Jan 2014

So they were asking for it?

So you think the laying of traps is an acceptable response if some people 'hate' bikers?
In reply to ChrisJD:

Good lord, why are you people so stupid?

I don't think laying dangerous traps is acceptable, no. So I don't think they were 'asking for it', assuming 'it' means laying traps.

I do however think that their reaction gives a good clue to why this happens.

jcm
OP ChrisJD 31 Jan 2014

So now I'm stupid?
OP ChrisJD 31 Jan 2014

> I do however think that their reaction gives a good clue to why this happens.

Or in other words you think that what happened (the laying of traps in response to some people hating some bikers attitude) is within the normal bounds of human reaction to not liking something; and that we shouldn't be surprised and accept it as an unavoidable consequence?
 gethin_allen 31 Jan 2014

Bored again are we John? Somehow you'd manage to find an argument for even the most clear cut case.
 Chris the Tall 31 Jan 2014

Are you aware that Sherwood pines is a trail centre

Christ, why am I trying to educate you, yes mountain bikers are asking for it, just the same as all those cyclists who throw themselves under lorries
In reply to ChrisJD:
I guess you are aware that there have been similar problems reported at Parkwood Springs in Sheffield - logs placed across the trail with reports of people lurking in the trees, presumably to nick the bikes of riders who crash or stop to clear the traps.

And there was the incident at Rother Valley last year, where a rider was robbed at knifepoint.

All very worrying if you ride alone a lot
Post edited at 22:27
Cambridge-Climber 31 Jan 2014
In reply to ChrisJD: Same mentality as Hunt saboteurs.

parkovski 31 Jan 2014

You are an actual water bear.
In reply to Cambridge-Climber:

Why do you ( like JCM) think this is political rather than purely criminal ?
In reply to ChrisJD:

> So now I'm stupid?

The evidence certainly seems to point that way.

>Or in other words you think that what happened (the laying of traps in response to some people hating some bikers attitude) is within the normal bounds of human reaction to not liking something; and that we shouldn't be surprised and accept it as an unavoidable consequence?

Good grief. I'm not sure I know where to start with that. Why don't you see if you can identify some of the non-sequiturs in that all by yourself? I can't be bothered.

jcm
 The New NickB 31 Jan 2014
Make a decent argument John, otherwise you just look like an arsehole.

The odds on you being pissed are probably fairly high, but it is no excuse.
Post edited at 23:35
 Chris the Tall 01 Feb 2014

John, I repeat my question, are you aware that Sherwood pines is a trail centre ?

It's the Horseshoe Quarry of mountain biking, the only people who object to it are "tradier than thou" mountain bikers.
OP ChrisJD 01 Feb 2014

I think it's clear to most of us on here what the true nature of your character is
 toad 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I've a lot of experience in this neck of the woods. Whilst it is a trail centre, it's also a big multiuser venue with lots of cycles, motorbikes pedestrians and horses in all parts of Clipstone. There have been incidents/problems/ tensions with MTBs and pedestrians in the past, and periodically there are meetings and campaigns to try and smooth things over.

Caltrops are a real nightmare because they are hard to find, so even if you know they've been laid in an area, getting rid of them can take forever, plus there are all sorts of liability issues. This is by no means uncommon in Notts, they've been laid here before, and also at places like Attenborough nature reserve and the old railway trails around Mansfield.

In small consolation, most of the ones historically have been laid for motorbikes, but they don't discriminate. There have been neck height wires, hidden obstructions and other vandalism as well in the past, particularly when Eakring Lane and the "desert" were seeing more traffic.

Banned User 77 01 Feb 2014
In reply to Cambridge-Climber:

> Same mentality as Hunt saboteurs.

Slightly different..

This is awful. Good for publicising. There really are some bitter shits around. I see it a lot running, people apoplectic with rage because I'm on the road..

It's like having fun just is not acceptable.

Unfortunately the chance of prosecution is minimal.

ebygomm 01 Feb 2014
In reply to toad:

I don't think these traps were found on the marked trails were they?

(Just seen the photos of all the trees down at Sherwood Pines too)
OP ChrisJD 01 Feb 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

And looks like horses get caught as well. From the comments on the photo:

"one of our horses got one stuck in its foot recently, two riders out, could have been disasterous but for the calm actions of the teenage riders"
 brokenbanjo 02 Feb 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Absolutely shocking behaviour, but seemingly justified by a few bellends, including a regular on these forums. So unless you are on two feet (or four wheels) you deserve what ever you get! Arseholes!
Cambridge-Climber 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Why do you ( like JCM) think this is political rather than purely criminal ?

Who said anything about politics? I was talking about the mindset that thinks it's acceptable to do damage, cause injury to another group that you disagree with their actions by means of sabotage.
In reply to IainRUK:

> Slightly different..

Are you sure? They want to do damage and potentially cause injury to a group of people they disagree with.
Still, at least our well reasoned debate is keeping the thread high profile.

Look out for banana skins from "running sabs", IainRUK...

xplorer 02 Feb 2014

You're either an idiot, or an alcoholic!

I'd go with both!
 ti_pin_man 03 Feb 2014
In reply to xplorer:

stop feeding the bear guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...