UKC

iPhone Protective Cases

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Cloquet 02 Feb 2014
Any 'real', experienced-backed advice on shockproof / waterproof cases for iPhone4s?
I was about to buy an Otterbox (went to the genuine site as reviews on Amazon suggested that the products listed there were generally fake) and then found awful reviews regarding the call / sound quality. I imagine this is a problem with most encapsulated phones...unless you know different.
So far I know of 'casemarine's' products and the Defender / Armor models from Otterbox.
I am a wee bit wary of using a shockproof casing and then putting the phone (when required) into a sealed waterproof bag because one of my phones was treated that way and there must have been some damp between the case and phone or possibly in the bag which couldn't air out and after a lengthy time in the bag the damp had penetrated my phone to the point of knackering it - an iPhone only needs to see 1cc of fluid to potentially destroy it!
My experience of damaging a phone is far higher than my knowledge of protecting one, so your help please.
 Matt Schwarz 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Andy Cloquet:

at the centre i work at all the ipohone guys use lifeproof cases, expensive but regularly get salt water on them and still going stong.
matt
 Smelly Fox 02 Feb 2014

I can confirm that my wifi and 3g connectivity goes down drastically when incased in my otterbox defender. I have never had a problem making calls though....

I suspect you are right, its just the nature of the increased shielding of the anetenna, and would be similar whatever you went for.

The defender is however very easy to remove, and very effective (although not completely waterproof). I tend to use mine when out in the field, but remove it when knocking about at home.

Cheers

Trist
 RichardP 02 Feb 2014

I have just had to pay £209 to get my iPhone 5 fixed
so to protect my new phone I bought an Otterbox Armor

I got it from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&a...

on amazon I paid £42.98 which included next day delivery

but the link to the US website where the youtube links are located is

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4/4S-Armor-Series-Case/apl10-i4sun,default,p...

by the way, when you go to the loo take your iphone out of your back pocket

Richard
 jon59 02 Feb 2014

Lifeproof is the best iPhone case I've come across
the real slim shady 02 Feb 2014

I've got an otterbox defender on an iphone 5 and have no problems on the call quality or wifi/mobile signal loss. I find it makes it a helluva lot easier to hold on to etc because its more chunky in my hands. It's not meant to be waterproof however if its raining then I tend to not worry about water getting in the bottom or anything due to the cover.

Another line of cases to look at are those made by "griffin" specifically the survivor which seems to be the opposing model to the defender, my dad has one of these on his iphone 5 and I find the rubber to be very "sticky" in a pocket and the case is slightly bigger overall, so I guess it depends what you want

HTH
 Bluebird 03 Feb 2014

+1 for Armor case. no issues with wifi or 3G reception. it's pretty much bombproof, waterproof, crushproof, dropproof, kiddyproof.
 pebbles 03 Feb 2014

a bit large and not phone specific, but if like me youre prone to sitting on/dropping/bashing rucksacks against rocks, a full on (ie not phone specific) pelicase realy does seem to be proof against anything! cant use the phone while its in the case, but its not that much effort to take it out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...