UKC

Recommend Me A Small Climbing Van....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 barbeg 02 Feb 2014
Dear Collective,
I'm getting fed up of making do with a small impractical car for my daily fix, be it bouldering, rock climbing, working at the ice wall or weekends away. So looking for a small van type vehicle probably... something that can be used on a daily basis, will need 4 seats, but can accommodate a doss in the back, lots of kit, you get the idea....
Any good recommendations?
ANdy
 Andy DB 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

If you need 4 seats then you will probably be better off with an estate. if you are happy with 2 seats then a Vw cady, Ford transit connect etc would probably do. If 3 seats then Citron dispatch Peugeot partner etc.
 Climb Hamster 02 Feb 2014

Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner are very versatile. The rear seats unbolt individually to leave either a large cargo area or largish cargo area plus 1/2 rear seats as required. I can sleep full length in the back no problem. With tinted windows it's fine for getting changed in. The downsides are it is really a van with windows and rear seats so the performance isn't scintillating and the suspension can feel a little bit rolly round corners. I just take my time getting there...
Fiat Doblo/Renault Kangoo are a similar type of vehicle.
OP barbeg 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Climb Hamster:

Thanks guys..... Citroen Berlingo is something I've been looking at..

Any other suggestions?

ANdy
 veteye 02 Feb 2014

I have a Kangoo van(owned since new for 12 years) for work(no rear seats) and got back last Tuesday from 6days in Scotland with a friend.We took the van as we wanted to have bikes with us in case we wanted to use forestry tracks to reduce the walk-in to some of the Munros.(As it turned out we did not use the bikes).
If we had not found a bunk house at some point we could have slept in the van.The front passenger seat folds down and the cage behind the seats swivels round over the passenger seat so that it lies parallel with the hand brake,which gives more length for longer parcels or for sleeping.
 HenryC 02 Feb 2014

Another vote for a Caddy: VW reliability!
 Murd 02 Feb 2014
I've got a combo crew van. fold down rear seats, if I'm on my own I can push and recline the front seats far enough to sleep well ona couple of boulder mats. I also made a plywood false floor that slots together in 3 cross sections, this is good to sleep 2 peeps and have storage underneath. you kinda of get the best of both worlds with the crew...normal with seats or a van with them down...suits me anyhow.
altirando 03 Feb 2014

The people who make the Romahome version of the Berlingo now do a campervan version of the smaller van in the range - forgotten its name but it sounds ideal for one person even unadapted.
 Blue Straggler 03 Feb 2014

Post-2009 Kangoo you don't need to unbolt the seats, they just fold down neatly. Two of us recently did a Scottish winter weekend in one, slept in it two nights, it was fine. Older ones required you to unbolt the seats. I don't know about later Berlingo / Partner models though. Might be the same.
Kangoo handled nicely, seemed comfy at some naughty motorway speeds (not me driving at that time! But the dial said 90)
OP barbeg 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thanks to One & All,

Any last contributions/thoughts before I go and lash some cash.......

ANdy
windjammer 03 Feb 2014

i have a fiat doblo 1.9 multijet dynamic 120bhp does 40mpg cruzing at 75mph,fitted a set of winter tyres,im 6 foot 3 and can sleep in back its 1200mm wide,1200mm high
 Martin Wing 03 Feb 2014

I've got a VW Caddy Maxi Combi. 5 seats great on fuel and plenty of space.
 Martin Wing 03 Feb 2014
Another point with the caddy Combi is it's taxation class is diesel car so your not limited to the lower van speed limits. Which is definitely a bonus. And obviously cheaper tax than a LPG.
Post edited at 22:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...