UKC

Gloves a bit warmer than ME Guides?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 03 Feb 2014
Right, I've used a pair of Mountain Equipment Guide gloves for the past couple of years, and they're OK. But, especially after a bit of use and the pile compacting, I've never found them all that warm. I do get colder hands easier than most, and I find myself needing to use a pair of liner gloves to boost the warmth. I've also never really found them to be all that waterproof (and yes, I am aware gloves rarely are and you sweat in them, but even so).

Just looking for some recommendations for some gloves that will fulfill the same duties but are a good bit more insulated? I do winter walking, scrambling and low end gullies so dexterity isn't as big an issue as it is for some. As long as I can use a screwgate and turn a compass bezel that's fine, I'm not going to be torquing away on an overhang somewhere.

I've seen the ME Couloir and the Marmot Exum Guide which may be what I'm after? I've not tried them in person though and it's a fair wedge of cash for gloves that will only get used for a few months a year, so looking for some reviews or options.
 AdrianC 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Taurig: 2 or 3 cheap pairs that you exchange once they're wet / cold is better value than one expensive pair, I reckon.

martinph78 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Taurig:

The cheapest option might be some warmer liner gloves if you think they'd fit in your current glove? I used Power Stretch liners (until the stitching failed for the second time), they were warm and good even when soaking wet.

I also think a pair of Buffalo mitts or similar are worth looking at. Get them large enough to fit over your gloves for extra warmth when you don't need the dexterity. For £22 it is worth a try.

Nothing beats having a spare pair of warm and dry mitts to put on at the top though, so instead of buying warmer gloves I've gone for more gloves!

martinph78 03 Feb 2014
In reply to AdrianC:

I agree
 andy_e 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Taurig:

Wrist warmers made from support bandage!

Plenty of good advice on this thread:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=576925
Jim C 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Taurig:

Maybe it is just me, but when my kids talked about 'warm' gloves/ scarves/ blankets etc. I just could not help pointing out to them ( in the interest of scientific accuracy) that none of them actually generate any heat, they just keep heat in, they are therefore in themselves , not warm. ( There I got that off my chest)

If you have cold hands, even the most efficient insulating gloves are going to struggle to stop them getting colder. What you need is something to increase the blood flow to your extremities.( or get some chemical pads)

martinph78 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> Maybe it is just me, but when my kids talked about 'warm' gloves/ scarves/ blankets etc. I just could not help pointing out to them ( in the interest of scientific accuracy) that none of them actually generate any heat, they just keep heat in, they are therefore in themselves , not warm. ( There I got that off my chest)

Some, however, keep heat in more than others. But you knew that
OP Taurig 03 Feb 2014
All fair points. I do have a few pairs of gloves and mitts, just the Guides are the ones I've spent the most cash on so they're my go to, and probably the best of what I have.

Jim C, yeah, I've got pretty good at managing my hands; keeping my core warm, flicking the blood into them etc. They don't generate heat of course, as you say, but a thicker or more efficiently insulated glove will keep more of what heat you do generate, in. I find in numbingly cold conditions, the Guides just don't have enough insulation to keep the heat in, so I'm frequently re-warming my hands. Liners do help but can be a bit of a faff, just looking for a thicker glove I can slip on that will do the job of two.

jonnie3430 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Taurig:

These: http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Venitex-Leather-Gloves-size-8 or dachsteins would be what I'd recommend for what you describe. For waterproofing I use nikwax.
Jim C 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Taurig:
Anyone tried surgical gloves as a first layer ?

I usually use thin gloves under a mitt, but Just maybe a surgical glove on my hands under a liner under a mitt would be better
( or even a surgical glove -over - a thin liner, under a mitt) might be worth trying.

Unless someone has tried these , and they failed?
Post edited at 23:09
 JohnnyW 04 Feb 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

Thanks for the link to the gloves. I already have a pair of Dickies ones which work well, but that are a little short on the wrist, so have had a punt on these.

To the OP, I did the same, and bought the ME Guides, wincing at the price. They aren't worth it, and I have completely reverted to the 'many cheaper dry pairs' as per the other cold hands thread.

I have definitely noticed my hands suffering more as I age, and this is now more and more important to me.
 lithos 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> Maybe it is just me, but when my kids talked about 'warm' gloves/ scarves/ blankets etc. I just could not help pointing out to them ( in the interest of scientific accuracy) that none of them actually generate any heat, they just keep heat in, they are therefore in themselves , not warm.

right back at you

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/01/23/bytesize-blog-review-of-blazewear...
 blackcat 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Taurig:Hi ive always suffered from cold hands,i use a pair of extremities super windy gloves,dextrous very warm and very hard wearing,befour that i used extremities standard windstopper gloves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...