UKC

Dolomites: critical avalanche conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Null 04 Feb 2014
Just in case anyone cares, the Dolomites are seriously snowed under at the moment with very serious avalanche danger. The next week or two do not give much sign of things improving.
Around Cortina seems to be the worst hit and people are getting scared, with five and a half metres of snow measured at 1800 m and loads more forecast. Houses have been evacuated in some areas.

Ice climbing has been more or less non existent so far this year and at this point can probably be written off.

On a final positive note, ski conditions should be outstanding in the spring !

Carless 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Erstwhile:

Yep - saw some film from Cortina & Alta Pusteria this morning - amazing amounts of snow
OP Null 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Carless:

One bump before sinking slowly into cyber oblivion
 beardy mike 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Erstwhile:

Got to get my next door neighbour to clear my garage roof - apprently it's got 2m of snow on it!
OP Null 06 Feb 2014
In reply to mike kann:

Up on Bondone (ski resort) above our village they are desperately trying to find people to go up on rooves to shift snow. You need to be roped up and mountain savvy, of course. € 200 per day if anyone is interested.
Tom Knowles 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Erstwhile:

> Up on Bondone (ski resort) above our village they are desperately trying to find people to go up on rooves to shift snow. You need to be roped up and mountain savvy, of course. € 200 per day if anyone is interested.

In reply to Erstwhile:

How (not) to shovel snow off a roof...

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?l=2&keyid=41...
 deepstar 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Carless:

This is all a bit worrying, I'm heading out there (St Martino) on the 19th, I guess it's not worth taking Ice Climbing Gear.
OP Null 07 Feb 2014
In reply to deepstar:

> I guess it's not worth taking Ice Climbing Gear.

I doubt you will do any ice climbing. There might be something formed up very high but it is likely either to be completely snowed under or just too dangerous. The skiing should be great, perhaps even for touring by then.
RockShock 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Knowles:

Useful demonstration of a slab avalanche mechanism!
 deepstar 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Erstwhile:

Thanks, thats good news, I'm glad I have a touring set up.
 deepstar 08 Feb 2014
In reply to manumartin:

Thanks for that,..Scary!
 g taylor 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Knowles:

I know people who would happily do this for 200e per day!
 Chris the Tall 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Erstwhile:

Heres another vid

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?l=2&keyid=41...

Just back from Corvara and the skiing was indeed excellent, despite the fact that Arabba was closed almost all week. When we did get there, I don't think I've ever seen snow so deep. I believe there is more forecast this week
 Guy 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall: That road is going to take some digging. Looks like the chalets got lucky on the whole.

OP Null 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Guy:

Avalanche conditions remain critical, now with high temperatures and metres of very heavy damp snow. The coming weekend should be getting colder (but more snow as well !) and the outlook appears to be more settled starting next week, so things might be finally settling down to normal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...