UKC

Best online climbing shops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperLee1985 04 Feb 2014
Apologies if there is already a thread on this but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.
I was wondering which online climbing stores people tend to find the best deals on?
I tend to use Rock + Run and V12 quite a lot but like to shop around as prices vary quite a bit. Where else is usually worth checking out?

Cheers
 PPP 04 Feb 2014
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Banana Fingers maybe?
 jezb1 04 Feb 2014

Joe Brown & Needlesports

theoutdoorshop.com and urbanrock.com have good deals, and most outdoor shops have deals if you know the codes, e.g Cotswold will do 20% with the right discount code.
 AdrianC 05 Feb 2014

The outdoor shop are hard to beat for price and service.
 Martin Wing 05 Feb 2014
In reply to AdrianC:

I agree, The Outdoor Shop are the best iv used. Especially with BMC discount.
OP SuperLee1985 06 Feb 2014

Thanks for the advice, actually ended up buying stuff from both TheOutdoorShop and NeedleSports.
Aonach 06 Feb 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
Why are you so obsessed with using discount codes that have been allocated to other people? A 20% code is likely to be for MR or a local Scout/DofE group and you're encouraging people to abuse it.
Strange what folks will do for a few quid - I guess you'd use a MR discount card that you might find in the street too?

iamniccage 06 Feb 2014

Recently Found Gaynor Sports -http://www.gaynors.co.uk/

clothing and bags relatively cheap

carievans67 06 Feb 2014

I'd give V12 a huge thumbs up ...I ordered a harness from them online and when it turned out to be out of stock one of their guys went up to DMM and picked one up for me, it arrived in the post the next day. Excellent service!
 Ban1 06 Feb 2014

MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op)

you pay 25quid delivery(from Canada) but you save so much compared to UK sites
 AdrianC 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

Unless it has recently changed they (and others like REI) can't ship much of the nice shiny stuff to the UK. Only boring things like groundsheets and water bottles.
 Ban1 07 Feb 2014
In reply to AdrianC:

MEC seems to be better about brands options. so I think you can't get beal,la sportive and petzle because of international restriction agreements.

but no problem ordering 3X BD camalots C4 for just under 100quid aswell as other slings and biners.

p.s keep it under 270GBP or you need to pay customs
 Ban1 07 Feb 2014

I didn't mean this to sound advertising
Cambridge-Climber 07 Feb 2014
Needlesports for Range, Joe Brown for clearance lines (especially Rab) & Summit to Sea for service.

Removed User 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

Where'd you get the £270 figure from? I've paid import on stuff from America that's only totaled £35, although I know you're talking about a different country I didn't think the sending country mattered when it came to paying import duty.
 Ban1 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Where'd you get the £270 figure from?
I have no idea! I've just been searching HMRC again and ofcourse its not a straight answer. I post my VAT when I get it

John_Hat 07 Feb 2014

I always use needlesports. Quality service and good range.
 AdrianC 08 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

That's good to know. Cheers!
 wilkie14c 08 Feb 2014

Best does not mean cheapest in my opinion. First class customer service, friendly knowledgable staff, not impossible to ring with a query, fast dispatch of mail order items and a good range offered with good stock levels equals the best climbing shop. Or there are cheap shops.
Needlesports, JB's, Outdoor and V12, R&R all qualify with my markers.
jasonpather 10 Feb 2014

For great customer service and advice try overhangclimbing.com. Really new but personal and clearly are obsessed with climbing.
In reply to jasonpather:

> For great customer service and advice try overhangclimbing.com. Really new but personal and clearly are obsessed with climbing.

and judging by your 3 posts you're obviously connected to them!

FatalSaviour 10 Feb 2014

I've always found EliteMountainSupplies to offer a very competitive, friendly and speedy service - if that helps!
 deepsoup 10 Feb 2014
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
> and judging by your 3 posts you're obviously connected to them!
I was thinking much the same.
 deepsoup 10 Feb 2014
In reply to jasonpather:
They have an "about us" page that says nothing about them, and a "contact us" page with no contact details on.

Personally, I want to know who I'm buying from and where they're based. As it stands I wouldn't buy anything from them regardless of price. I doubt I'm the only one, so it'd probably be a good idea for them to fix that.
 Slarti B 10 Feb 2014
In reply to FatalSaviour:

> I've always found EliteMountainSupplies to offer a very competitive, friendly and speedy service - if that helps!

Second that, very helpful when item not in stock as well and easy to contact. Also 20% BMC discount

Have also found Urban Rock to be good on mail order, fast and good prices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...