UKC

For the DIY-ers out there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all,

I'm going somewhere pretty cold and will be walking with trekking poles whilst wearing mitts. The problem is that when I put my mitts into the wrist loops, I can't properly grip the pole ie the loops aren't long enough even at full extension. I think I'm going to have to make longer ones, but the only way I can think to do it is to tie some cord/webbing to the top of the pole. It's very bulky once knotted and doesn't feel very stable. Any ideas on how I can do it better?

Thanks!
 crayefish 05 Feb 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Split the tape (seal ends) and then sew in an extra section of webbing. You could even sew in a section backed by elastic tape (as with many rucksack chest straps) so that it's stretchy but full strength on extension.

I would save yourself the DIY bodge and just get a pair of poles that don't require wrist loops for efficient use. Loops are a pain, pretty inefficient as a way to control a pole anyway (just think of the mechanics for a minute), and on top of that anything restricting your wrist is unlikely to be helpful in keeping hands warm. Look up Pacerpoles. Review here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=5431 (scroll down to the end)
 gethin_allen 05 Feb 2014

If you unscrew the screws in the top of thegrips the webbing should come free. You can then replace the bit without the buckles with longer bits of webbing.
 BnB 05 Feb 2014

I never use the loops. They can trap your hands in place just when you need to drop the pole (eg when the damned things get caught in a hole or under your feet). I would have thought most pole-related injuries are either caused or excerbated by the use of the loops.
 gordo 05 Feb 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

+1 on this method
 mattrm 05 Feb 2014
In reply to BnB:

When I was on a course with Alan Kimber, he pointed out the point where he'd broken his wrist cause he had a wrist strap. As a result, I've stopped bothering with them.
 Trangia 05 Feb 2014
In reply to BnB:

> I never use the loops. They can trap your hands in place just when you need to drop the pole (eg when the damned things get caught in a hole or under your feet). I would have thought most pole-related injuries are either caused or excerbated by the use of the loops.

Plus 1 for walking poles when I never use the wrist loops, however I do use them on ski poles when skiing.
 gethin_allen 05 Feb 2014
In reply to BnB:

you see a lot of people using the loops incorrectly resulting in broken thumbs in the event of a big crash. I'm happy to continue using them.
In reply to gordo:
+2 certainly possible with mine.
In reply to Trangia:

> Plus 1 for walking poles when I never use the wrist loops, however I do use them on ski poles when skiing.
Interesting we are all different. I rarely use them for skiing due to speed and thus potential forces involved if it goes wrong but then I don't do deep powder when loops stop you losing them completely. I have had to let go of the poles many times over the years where if the loops were used injury may have followed. I've seen too many folk using loops and have problems like getting up after failing or with getting on off lift because they keep the loops on at all times.
I mostly do not use them walking, but do find them an advantage going up hills - it's an age thing! Will always remove loops when walking fast(er), on rocky terrain or going downhill so that I can let go if required.
Everyone to their own. I would always want them to be there to give me the choice though.

Not using the loops isn't really an option. When you have large mitts on, gripping the pole is quite an effort. I went for a training walk the other day not using the loops with my expedition mitts on and when I got home my hands were aching fairly painfully. After about half and hour!

The stuff I'm doing is mainly flat so injury isn't an issue, the focus is transferring the body weight off the fingers to the forearms for endurance walking.

I will definitely check tonight to see if my poles have screws at the top! Great tip if that works
In reply gethin_allen:

My Black Diamond poles don't have screws, just what looks like a rivet or long bit of metal going through
 gethin_allen 09 Feb 2014

In that case I'm not sure. Sorry.
Dorq 10 Feb 2014

IIRC, Black Diamond poles have a pin that you need to push out, in order to remove or replace the webbing straps. I have taken the straps off some older flick locks and some of the newer Z pole types. It might be a bit of a hassle but it can be done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...