UKC

Should I buy a Giant TCR?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 06 Feb 2014
My employer has started a cycle to work scheme but has gone for a scheme where you can only purchase bikes from them on their web shop So without being tight on my LBS I can't really try these bikes out before buying one.

The best I can find around the £1100 limit is the Giant TCR3 carbon or the Giant defy carbon. They both come with the same mix of tektro giant Tiagra parts and the same wheels so the only difference is the Frame geometry.

I rode a giant defy 2 and found that the riding position was a bit upright and cornering didn't feel that great because there was no weight on the front wheel. It could also just be that it wasn't set up very well?

The TCR seems a bit lower at the front and a bit shorter so I think this could be what I'm looking for. Does anyone here have any experience with the TCR geometry ie. how aggressive it is, and does anyone know how it or the defy compares to my 2009 trek 1.2 that it would be replacing?

Thanks All.
 Dark-Cloud 06 Feb 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

I have aTCR Advanced, had an alloy version before that, they are awesome bikes, i have always been used to race geometry so the TCR suits me better than the Defy would, you won't be disappointed with it.
 Tall Clare 06 Feb 2014

Mr TC has a TCR (advance?) carbon and some sort of aluminium (I think) TCR - I'll point him at the thread when he gets in.
 VS4b 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Defy is a sportive geometry higher at the front end and tcr is much racier in set up. Defy used to be called scr which made the difference clear.

I have a defy as my winter bike and it's v good, regularly gets best entry level buy, tcr also v highly rated.

I'd get to a shop and ask to try them, if you're honest and promise to go back for consumables I doubt that they will be too upset.
OP gethin_allen 06 Feb 2014
In reply to VS4b:

I may have to do this. It's irritating that the nearest shop that stocks these bikes is the one I'd be least likely to go to for bits.
The other thing I was wondering about was he weights of these bikes. They aren't listed on the giant website. Some reviewers say they are a bit tubby for a carbon bike. I was wondering if the stock tyres are heavy thing as normal? This would provide a nice easy and cheap way to drop some noticeable weight where it matters.
 Tall Clare 06 Feb 2014

Evening! Mr TC here. Afraid I do have a bit of a TCR habit. I've had TCRs of various sorts since they first came out over a decade ago. Of the two bikes you have mentioned, I'd recommend the TCR Composite because of the geometry. Depends a little on what you are used to and how physically flexible you are but you can compensate for any deficiencies in the flexibility department by flipping your stem/keeping a decent stack of spacers etc. The TCR should do everything you could ask of it and it should also be able to take SKS Raceblades (long or standard) if you need to fit guards so long as you run 23mm tyres, so great for winter and commuting.

Downside of the frame is that the top tube (at least on the Advanced SL and the alloy TCR that I run) is quite wide and if your knees are prone to coming in a bit at the top of the pedal cycle, they can hit the tube. That might just be me though!

Other thing worth noting is the sizing. Don't know how tall you are but check all that out carefully. Stating the obvious, I know, but I've found that there is quite a leap between Large and XL for example, especially on components such as the stems that Giant supply, with the stem length and therefore reach stepping up quite significantly. Again this is just my experience.

Other than that, not a lot else to say. Super solid bikes. Not the sexiest and Giants do have a bit of brand image problem because lots of folk on BTW schemes opt for the Defy, because it's such good value for money. Consequently there are oodles of them around. TCRs are a bit rarer and definitely have a bit more of a grin factor. Hope that helps and you get what you want. Enjoy!
 IMA 07 Feb 2014
Love my tcr, it loves hills. Some people say you may be uncomfortable after a 100mi compared to a defy, but I've yet to have an issue (other bike is an allez tho). Holds the downhills well too.

Geo, is best to sit and test, but if you want something tighter and have the mobility then I think you would get on with it.

Frame is solid enough to justify the odd upgrades as bargains appear (brakes were my first)

Stock tyres are solid but best for training/winter. Heavier than some for sure but I didn't notice much in them. Same with the wheels but I want to be below 11 stone before I care about those gains. My tyres were upgraded as the old ones wore out.

If you want I can weigh my medium tomorrow but I have force crankset, 105 shifters/mechs. 6700 brakes and a carbon saddle so the accuracy could be questioned

Tcr 3 comp owner
Post edited at 00:13
OP gethin_allen 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

That's great thanks, my trek is a 56cm frame as was my previous bike which I think transfers to a large in giant. I've never concentrated on where my knees go while riding but I'll have a look now you mention it.
I use crud race guards at the moment but tbh, this bike would become my good weather bike so I hopefully wouldn't need to fit guards.
In reply to IMA:

I was thinking that the tektro brakes looked a bit cheap and that I have better in the spares box at home.
 sleavesley 07 Feb 2014
In reply to gethin_allen: Rutland cycling have the tcr3 for £750 at the moment. Worth while looking around as sometimes you'll get a better deal with the sale item than the cycle to work scheme.
 Dark-Cloud 07 Feb 2014

Assuming the 56 fit you properly its more likely you will need an M/L Giant, large will be too big i reckon, i ride a 56 standard CtoC frame but a M/L TCR with a 120mm stem is a perfect fit for me.
In reply to sleavesley:

The scheme in work reckons that it would cost me £673 so still cheaper.

Another question, when manufacturers quote frame measurements do they measure from tube centres?
 IMA 07 Feb 2014

The tek brakes weren't bad in the summer, and it is more down to the actual pad than the brake itself, I waited until a good deal (£50 for a pair of 6700) and when my pads had worn out.

Measurements tend to be from the center or the end point.

Most will show an arrow on the geometry pages.

In regards to cycle to work. On my scheme I still paid my full £1000 back, the savings were from my tax. It isn't always the great deal it seems, however it was a great interest free way to borrow the money and hopefully I did save a few quid in the process.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...