UKC

Boots for Mont Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Summitorbust 07 Feb 2014
Hey, I just bought a pair of Scarpa Manta Pro GTX to replace my beloved Scarpa Mantas that have gradually worn away since 2008. The guy in the shop said they would be perfect for my Mont Blanc climb in June, but now I keep hearing that you really need B3. My old Scarpas did me great for a winter ascent of Toubkal and Scottish winters, maybe it's because I overheat and don't really get cold, but now I am worrying I need to buy B3s? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
 Skol 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Summitorbust:
I bought Salomon Super mountain 9's when I climbed it in 2000. I never got on with them and ended up climbing in meindl super crack leather boots, B2 size 11. I wore some old Camp crampons and had no problems on the ascent, or on the Cosmiques arête . Socks were Thor lo mountain socks. I appreciated the degree of flex the B2's gave. The guides only concern was for me to get anti balling plates on the crampons.

Had the guy who served you actually been up Mont Blanc? I wouldn't say Mantas are perfect for MB. They are certainly capable of getting you there but there are better boots out there but it totally depends on the fit. I have the LS Trango Extremes which are a B2/3 and are lighter than the Mantas and are extremely warm for the weight. This is just one example of a boot that's better for MB than the Manta.

I personally would have bought a B3 if you are thinking of doing more and more.
Summitorbust 07 Feb 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Thanks guys. I did ask for whoever knew the most about boots, he came across as knowledgable and had done lots of Scottish winter but not MB. The boots feel great, really comfy and good ankle support. We are going to climb Ben Nevis in March as a taster and I figure if they do well there in terms of fit, warmth and getting on with my old G12 crampons then they should work? I would love to do more high altitude stuff, but with other commitments trips like this don't happen very often. If BN is a disaster and I moan enough to my other half I may get away with a B3 purchase, but as you know this stuff really adds up and I need new trousers too!

YOu can never have too many boots!
 OwenM 07 Feb 2014

> The boots feel great, really comfy and good ankle support.

They'll be just fine.
windjammer 22 Feb 2014

i did mont blanc via the gouter hut and grand coulir, i used zamberlan mountainlite with a yeti gaiter stuck to the rand for a bit more warmth,after all montblanc is just a snow plod
 butteredfrog 22 Feb 2014

Mantas will be fine, you might want to change the insoles, for a bit more warmth and comfort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...