UKC

Mogulling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 08 Feb 2014
Can anyone who does this still walk when they get to their forties! Jesus!
 BnB 08 Feb 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I'm 50+ and mogul blacks flat out on a snowboard. MTFU

I'm a crap climber though, living on the wrong forum obviously.

A tip: it's about strong core, soft knees and firm feet. Leg strength shouldn't play a big part. Hang your legs off your core.
 Rob Exile Ward 08 Feb 2014

I'm 60 and came down the biggest mogul runs in the TV this winter. Aggressive pole plants, that's the key!

Mind you I was even more aggressive the previous year, and couldn't walk for a week after I got back...

In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I was impressed with how static the upper bodies of the skiers were in the Olympic moguls. It would be interesting for them to have some motion tracking to see how steady they really are!
 BnB 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Fultonius:

Yes, the trick really is to allow the legs to flex in all directions below a rock solid core. When it clicks it's an amazing sensation. And you have to remember to breathe!! It's quite common to end a phase completely breathless and wide-eyed with adrenaline.
 Rob Exile Ward 09 Feb 2014
In reply to BnB:

This sounds all very well in theory... are you talking boarding or planks?
 BnB 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Same principles apply to either, but arms are different: On skis, you can use the poles to support your body. Snowboarding, it helps to raise your arms as if hanging from a bar. This happens naturally without you needing to focus on it. Feels wonderful.
Tim Chappell 09 Feb 2014
In reply to BnB:

Make like a car with soft suspension: top half just keeps going straight on, bottom half goes hup two hup two hup two...
macstinator 09 Feb 2014

I'm 70+ and I ski competition moguls in ski-jump skis.

Its all about locking the knees, relaxing the core and drinking as much as you can, all while being the best skier on the mountain.

Awesome effort in the bumps from Ben Cavet tonight.... The French competitor from Maidstone, Kent! Well done
 pec 10 Feb 2014

The tip I was given (by an instructor) that has been of most use to me is to turn on the top of the bump where you have space to turn the skis, not in the ruts where your skis will be forced to follow the channel. This way you can turn at your own speed (though quickly helps) and pick the direction you go in. Use your edges to slow down as you sideslip down the side of the mogul after turning. Turning in the ruts tends to dictate your speed, usually faster than you want to go.
 Dan Arkle 14 Feb 2014

I'm 87 years old and won the world cup in moguls on 230cm touring skis.

Its all about having a steel girder corset for the core, and finding salopettes big enough to fit my balls in!
 Chris the Tall 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> I'm 87 years old and won the world cup in moguls on 230cm touring skis.

> Its all about having a steel girder corset for the core, and finding salopettes big enough to fit my balls in!

Oddly enough I have skied moguls on a pair of 230s
It wasn't pretty !!

(A shop had made a mistake when I bought some skis - fortunately for me they changed them to the correct pair, unfortunately for them I'd already scratched the tops....crashing in the moguls!)
 Alyson 14 Feb 2014
In reply to macstinator and Dan Arkle:

> I'm 70+ and I ski competition moguls in ski-jump skis.
> It's all about locking the knees, relaxing the core and drinking as much as you can, all while being the best skier on the mountain.

> I'm 87 years old and won the world cup in moguls on 230cm touring skis.
> Its all about having a steel girder corset for the core, and finding salopettes big enough to fit my balls in!

I'm 146 years old and won the intergalactic mogul cup on 19th century iron skis.
It's all about jumping to the left, stepping to the right, putting your hands on your hips and bringing your knees in tight.

Brass Nipples 14 Feb 2014

I skied the moguls on twin rail tracks on mons Olympus at the age of 201, of course my core is made from girders. The girders are a bit rusty, but holding up.
 Chris the Tall 14 Feb 2014

Well of course in my day we had it tough. moguls were proper moguls, big as mills they were, plus you had to pay mill owner for privilege of skiing them.

And I was so fast, I was down at t'bottom before clock had even been invented
OP Yanis Nayu 14 Feb 2014

I've been missing this thread - it's quality!
 joan cooper 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Orgsm: All those girders you must have trained on IRN BRU.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...