UKC

Milford track thoughts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 farmer 10 Feb 2014
I've got the chance to walk for four or five days in the South Island in late march and am thinking of doing the Milford track. I would welcome anyone's experiences or alternatives . Thanks
 Tom Last 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

Kepler would be an obvious alternative.

Great scenery, great huts, also out of Te Anau, a lot quieter and easier to get in the hut (which is essential as that's where you have to stay).
OP farmer 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks ,looking at Kepler too. Any idea of weather conditions in late march?
In reply to farmer:

Kepler also has the advantage of returning directly to Te Anau, otherwise you'll have to haul back from Milford Sound. You could also be brave and wait until you get there and pick up the next free space on the Kepler/Milford/Routeburn, they were advertising daily last min spots in the DNT office when we were there last.

Routeburn also looked good but a pain to reach/leave the trailhead, easy walking on the first day Milford side though.

Best of luck, quite jealous
 Morgan Woods 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

Haven't done the Milford but did the Routeburn and Caples which is a round trip accessed from Queenstown.

http://www.infotrack.co.nz/queenstown-track-transport.html
Thickhead 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

> (In reply to Tom Last)
>
> Thanks ,looking at Kepler too. Any idea of weather conditions in late march?

Unpredictable... Could be anything. Take waterproofs any time of year in Fiordland!

Kepler is good... Lots of walking under bush canopy though. 3-4days.
Routeburn more spectacular but shorter. 2-3days.
Milford restricted access with huts/transport etc. 4days fixed.
Rakiura (Stewart Island). 2-3days.
Humpridge Trail (Tuatapere) worth looking into. 3-4days I think.

For a different area completely try Heaphy, Abel Tasman or the Nelson Lakes NP.

If you want to explore back country rather than "Great Walks" check out "South Island Weekend Tramps."

There are literally hundreds of huts about.

Enjoy!
Post edited at 03:07
 The Potato 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

good advice as mentioned above.

only one other thing to add...... sandflies... lots of sandfiles
OP farmer 10 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm:

So I hear!! What the best defence?
 Kevin Forde 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

Did the Milford Track in late March in 2001. Back then the numbers of walkers were restricted to about 30-40 per day as far as I recall and you had to book a slot in advance for a specific date.

Great tramping, nothing difficult or treacherous and brilliant scenery, however we were very lucky with the weather - fine days but it absolutely bucketed down every night, so the multitude of waterfalls along the route were in fine form. From the lakeshore to the first hut is a ridiculously short day. The detour to the Sutherland Falls on the way down from the McKinnon Pass is well worth it.

Bear in mind, it rains an *awful* lot in that corner of New Zealand, like >5-6 m per year!
 Kevin Forde 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:
> (In reply to ow arm)
>
> So I hear!! What the best defence?

Stoicism. Repellants seemed useless!

FWIW most of the Kiwis on the route did it in shorts, despite the armies of sandflies, particularly when waiting for the boat out at the aptly named Sandfly Point.

Tom Last 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

Headnet, trousers in socks, don't get out of the car etc.

They're as mad as Scottish midges.
 Tom Last 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

Last post 'mad' was a typo of 'bad', but mad serves equally well. Little bastards.
 toad 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:
I did the Kepler in January 2008, so earlier in the summer than you. 1st day was a nice climb to a well appointed hut. Spectacular views back and you should have time at the top to have a good root round - have a look in the caves etc. second day is mostly high level and for us it properly hammered down all day - torrential ( but then it's temperate rain forest). Note to self - synthetic sack might be better than down!) big walk down through forest. v. atmospheric in mist/rain.
Third day you can walk out to Te Anau, but it's worth the extra night in the final hut. It will be much quiter because the backpackers will have pressed on for the next "experience", and it's right down by the lake so opportunity for paddle/ swim as the sun sets. Nice easy 4th day back to the start

We chose it because it was quieter, also left it too late to book Milford, but it was well worth it. Perhaps a little too well groomed if you are used to uk/ European trails, but I think all the "great walks" are like that?

jealous. Would love to go back

And Sandflies were nowhere near as bad as the midge/ clegg axis of weavil in Scotland or the Nordic mozzies
Post edited at 14:11
Thickhead 10 Feb 2014
In reply to toad:

In reply to toad:
, but I think all the "great walks" are like that?
>

Yes.

I've not had a problem with sandflies. I know some people do though. I have no idea why I don't get attacked.

Someone mentioned about numbers on the Milford Track...

40per day DOC huts, then there is the private company with private huts along the route.

It is a National Park though so anyone can walk along it at any time they like, its the transport to and from the start/end and the hut accommodation which is restricted.
OP farmer 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

Thanks for all your advice -very helpful -aiming for the Milford track now if hut space available.
One other question however-has anyone had problems with walking boots and immigration ?
I've heard of problems if not cleaned like new?
 The Potato 10 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

all your outdoor gear boots gaiters tent etc must be completely clean. no mud in tread, laces, seams etc. theyre very strict
Moley 19 Feb 2014
In reply to farmer:

Just arrived home this morning from 7 weeks tramping in S.Island, based around Nelson (North end).
Personally I have avoided all the "Great Walks", on the grounds that they tend to be busy and you have to book everything (transport, hut or campsite) in advance, which takes away flexibility. Plus they are expensive compared to everything else.

I had great multi-day walks in Kahurangi, Nelson and Richmond parks. If this area is any good to you let me know and I can send more details, certainly Nelson area has better weather. Sandflies: cover up legs/arms when stationary or I used Bushman repellant 80% deet - no problems. Take a look at this site if you want to devise your own routes, follow the dropdowns to tick walking/tramping and it shows all huts + info and paths, best on the Topo map I found, more like our OS. Can also print off sections of the maps, lots of other info on the DOC site generally.

http://maps.doc.govt.nz/Viewer/Index.html?viewer=rwa

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...