UKC

Lesser well know trad destinations overseas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elsier 10 Feb 2014
I've visited many (but not all) of the most popular and well known trad destinations overseas (within a shorthaul flight) and I'm interested to know if there are any other destinations that might not be so well known, but are still really good that people would recommend?

Has anyone been to Los Galayos in Spain or the Aladaglar in Turkey? Are they good?

Where else is there?
 tlm 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Elsier:

St. Catherines in Sinai was good - there were no other climbers and we had to get information off some obscure Israeli website, the rock was rather lose in places and we had no information about how to get back down. When we said we were there to climb, they just thought we meant to walk up Mount St. Catherines. The flight, the accommodation and the buses were very cheap and the people were great.

Andy Gamisou 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Elsier:

Cyprus isn't bad for a visit. Cavo Greko has a great variety of single pitch routes in a nice situstion, and no crowds (or indeed anyone). For more adventurous stuff Kyrenia is pretty awesome, with new route potential aplenty. And the weather is nice.
 Fiend 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Elsier:

Pfalz and Malta. Not entirely trad but enough good trad there.
Post edited at 18:43
 TobyA 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Elsier:

If you've been to Southern Sweden already, then some of the big crags in Swedish lapland look very good. Haven't climbed there myself but would like too. Possibly one of the budget airlines flies to Umeå or Luleå? Ringkallen isn't too far away either and that struck me as a beautiful series of crags http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10500
 Fiend 10 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Satan's bollocks! I forgot Bohuslan. Brilliant cragging.
OP Elsier 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Elsier:

Cool, I hadn't heard of most of those places and they all look good...
 Iain Peters 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Elsier:

Most of Greece, mainland and islands apart from Kalymnos. Miles and miles of unclimbed sea cliffs.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...