UKC

New Zealnd

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iantoday 11 Feb 2014
Hi All

I'm going to have a week spare in New Zealand in May, can anyone recommend some bouldering areas (upto V3 / Font 5 / 6a), topos? also what is hire of pads like?

would also be interested in being guided on roped routes.

will initially be in North Island, but may well be able to travel to South Island for a couple of days
 GDes 11 Feb 2014
In reply to iantoday:

New Zealand is a big ol' country with lots of slow roads, so try and narrow down a bit where you will be, or you'll spend you're whole time driving.

From my limited experience, the best climbing on North Island is the Froggat are, where it's also fairly easy to find people to climb with.

If you have a week, I'd head to the south island and go to Paynes Ford. I thought it was amongst the best rock in NZ, but more importantly easy to fins people to climb with (Hangdog campsite), and lots of other stuff to do (great multi day walks, sea kayaking etc).

If you just wnat bouldering, Castle Hill is the obvious choice, but persoanlly I didnt like the climbing there.
 madam 12 Feb 2014
In reply to iantoday:

Hi iantoday:

If you can make it fly to Christchurch.

-> bouldering: Castle Hill, Elephant rock
-> rock climbing: apart from already mentioned Paynes Ford, Wanaka is very nice (guide in the local library)

If you have to stay up north: Wharepapa (already mentioned Frogat is a good choice)...sea Bryce's caffee in wharepapa for more info

Check out the links (map of "all" NZ crags, free guide books) I have summed up here: http://nzclimb.blogspot.de/p/new-zealand-climbing.html

adam
 Neil R 12 Feb 2014
In reply to iantoday:

As mentioned Castle Hill is one of the main bouldering areas near Christchurch. Bouldering mats can be hired in Springfield nearby.
OP iantoday 26 Feb 2014
In reply to GDes:

Hi Ged, many thanks
OP iantoday 26 Feb 2014
In reply to madam:

Hi Adam

blog looks ideal
OP iantoday 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Neil R:

Neil. thanks do you know what mat hire charges are like
 KiwiPrincess 26 Feb 2014
In reply to iantoday:

If you get to Queenstown to Boulder at Jardines I could lend you a very old battered mat for a few days. I only look here once a week or so so You'd need to Message me in advance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...