UKC

Sport Climb Locations for Teens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveth 11 Feb 2014
I'm looking for bolted areas to take my teen leading this Spring. We're based in Manchester. He's storming it indoors but obviously will need to drop grades going outdoors so we're looking for some 5+ and 6a's at first. He can TR all sorts of trad but it's time to get clipping.

However my major criterion to start is the lower-offs. There's enough to think about for the first few sessions without the stress of cows-tails, threading, untying, etc. All in good time.

So, suggested locations?

ST

Dan Arkle 12 Feb 2014
In reply to steveth:

Horseshoe Quarry.

Many hate it but its got some good, well bolted routes and many now have proper rams head lower offs.
OP steveth 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks. I quite liked Horseshoe when I went there. I don't recall seeing any rams heads. I'll go back and have another look. Thanks for the suggestion.

ST
 Bulls Crack 12 Feb 2014
In reply to steveth:

Check out A55 venues - tend to be much more agreeable than Horsshoe - even when you can hear said trunk road! eg Castle Inn Quarry, Penmaen Head
And Frogsmouth is very close - better than it looks!

Also Settle area - Robin Proctors, Giggleswick South etc ....I still can't really recommend Castlebergh in all honesty
OP steveth 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Ta
 steveliput 12 Feb 2014
In reply to steveth:

castle inn
 rockcat 13 Feb 2014
In reply to steveth:

A55 crags - Castle Inn is an excellent place to start with a good selection of lower grade routes. Nearby Penmaen Head is worth a visit as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...