UKC

Boil In Bag Military Meals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teddy_simmon 12 Feb 2014
Hi All

A local shop is selling lots of the military "Vestey Food" Boil in bag meals, although these are all ready to eat does anyone know optimum cooking times for a hot meal.

Any recommendations on ones to avoid?

Thanks

Matt
 Gibson 12 Feb 2014
In reply to teddy_simmon:
Ready in around 8-10 mins and thats in an issue mug with pocket rocket. Maybe less depending on your cooking platform.

Don't know about the new ones but the old Corned Beef Hash was rancid. Avoid cheese possessed also.
Post edited at 13:55
 Ander 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Gibson:

The main thing is to give it time to heat through- so duration is worth more than 'hotness' per se.

You could, say, bring a vessel to the boil, turn off the stove and leave in the hot water for 5 mins. It's usually worth giving the bag a bit of a 'manipulate' half way too, to get the bits in the middle a bit of a 'stir'.

Used to love Corned Beef Hash, btw.
For some reason, many didn't.
 Tony the Blade 12 Feb 2014

Another pro corned beef hasher here 😊

Scrunch the bag into a tennis ball size and drop into pan/mug of boiling water, leave for 7 or 8 mind then remove to eat and drop your (NATO standard) tea sachet into the water.

Lamb curry always a fave as well... god how I miss my rat packs... never thought I'd say that
 Toby_W 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Were those biscuits brown designed to stop you up for days (so you didn't need to remove your nbc suit) or was that just a lucky side effect?

Toby
 london_huddy 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Gibson:

Treacle pudding was the worst.

To the OP:

They're pre-cooked so you can eat them cold for the full experience.
Otherwise, 5mins in the jetboil, squish them around (enjoying the warmth) and then feed.
 richie4088 12 Feb 2014

Nowt wrong with Corned Beef Dog, especially with a splash or 5 of Tabasco!

The new range is much better if you can get hold of them btw
 Ridge 12 Feb 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

> Treacle pudding was the worst.

Nope,

Fruit dumplings in butterscotch sauce. Minging..
 Gibson 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Ridge:

Ooft, forgot about the butterscotch. Vile.
Biscuits brown and chicken pate - highlight of the rat pack for me.
Tabasco should be in everyone's belt kit. The Yanks get wee bottles of it in their MREs which are far superior to ours but then so is every other bit of their kit....
James Jackson 13 Feb 2014
> They're pre-cooked so you can eat them cold for the full experience.

Preferably in the bottom of a muddy trench, in the rain, in Wales.

P.S. If they're the new ones, the Thai curries are nice. For breakfast, avoid the tropical muesli. It tastes like vomit.
Post edited at 06:42
 london_huddy 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Gibson:

It's in the new ones which compare well with every other set of field rations I've seen (including the red cross ones).

Butterscotch haters:
I'll have yours then: trade you for the chicken beak and arse pate?

Tony the Blade 13 Feb 2014

> It's in the new ones which compare well with every other set of field rations I've seen (including the red cross ones).

Yep, the latest compo boxes are pretty good, although I've yet to see anyone spread the 'yeast extract' on anything other than their faces.

I do miss the Yorkie bar though... It's not for civvies haha
 Bobling 13 Feb 2014

The yeast extract goes suprisingly well on a slice of cheddar!

Anyone else remember the tins of cheese from the old ten man rat packs?
 wercat 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Bobling:

10 man 1 day = 2 men 5 days same menu!
 pielips 14 Feb 2014
Bacon grill or bacon burgers were the best, not forgetting the tin of sausages in the 10 man pack!
Andy4 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Bobling:

Showing your age there Bobling…..But.Yes i do and would not be choosing to eat as a civilian!

The newer rations dont take long at all to heat,remember once you have them in a pot to flip them over to avoid cold spots,this will help preserve fuel as you won't be boiling them as long.

However an alternative are some lovely boil in the bags from Cotswold outdoors,not sure what make but they are every bit as good as a saturday night take away!!!(maybe i have low standards or a crap takeaway)
 Choss 17 Feb 2014
In reply to andy foers:

I always find it best to cook something like curry or Stew at home, Freeze it, then just warm it through when camping, with some Pre Cooked and Warmed Rice.

Delicious Proper home made food. Those Pre made things are a rip off.

either that or Take barbecue stuff.
 richprideaux 17 Feb 2014
In reply to andy foers:

Wayfarers? Made by Vestey foods as well I believe.
 Bobling 17 Feb 2014
In reply to richprideaux:

I thinks Wayfarers are just rat-packs rebranded for sale in the civilian marketplace.
 Bobling 17 Feb 2014
In reply to andy foers:

Heh, I was a sprog in the CCF in the early 90s when I had them - more than possible they'd been in stores for a decade or two before then!
 mockerkin 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Bobling:

> Anyone else remember the tins of cheese from the old ten man rat packs?

Yes, I do. First trip to the alps we had ex-RAF rations. Tinned cheese, but best of all tinned oatcakes with honey.

richprideaux 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Bobling:

Which are made by Vestey Foods these days I believe (with some input from other NATO and commonwealth forces suppliers I believe).
> I thinks Wayfarers are just rat-packs rebranded for sale in the civilian marketplace.

Feeling bold 17 Feb 2014

> Treacle pudding was the worst.

> To the OP:

> They're pre-cooked so you can eat them cold for the full experience.

> Otherwise, 5mins in the jetboil, squish them around (enjoying the warmth) and then feed.

What he said...and lemon sponge pud and custard is my favourite.
 spud_23 19 Feb 2014

Wayfarers are definitely MOD rebranded.. Most still have NSN numbers on the foil.

Best iv had is the freeze dried ones from bewell expedition foods.
Pour in boiled water, 8 to 10 mins with a stir and done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...