UKC

taco bouldering mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andypeak 13 Feb 2014
Bit of a noob question.

Just bought my first bouldering mat. It a pod sacs taco design one (I forget the actual name). Is it normal for the foam along the fold line to be really thin, less than half the thickness of the rest of the mat. I am assuming that this is due to compression of it being folded for a long time in the shop. Will this naturally fill out again? At the moment the mat wont lie anywhere near flat and I wouldn't like to fall on the middle section as its only a couple of cm think.
 craig1983 13 Feb 2014
In reply to andy.smythe:

It shouldn't be significantly thinner than the rest of the mat. If its only a couple of cm thick in the middle then i'd be taking it back.

I think tacos should really be stored open to reduce the stress on the foam when folded.
OP Andypeak 13 Feb 2014
In reply to craig1983:

thats what I thought but having never owned one before I wasn't sure
 1poundSOCKS 13 Feb 2014
In reply to andy.smythe: I never store my mat folded, just to stop the foam deteriorating at the fold (being constantly compressed can't help can it?). I would guess shops shouldn't either.

OP Andypeak 14 Feb 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I took it back in the end. The shop were quite surprised when I showed them an e-mail from pod saying that they shouldn't be stored folded.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...