UKC

Iceland- Laugavegur trail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adamholden 13 Feb 2014
I am going to Iceland to walk the Laugavegur trail in June, I am after any information I can get about it. What is the majority of the terrain like with a view to footwear: normal walking boots or B1 recommended etc?
We are staying in the huts for the whole route but the facilities at each of them is a little unclear, is there stoves/gas etc or will we need to carry cooking provisions etc?
If anyone has a guide book or maps from a previous exped i would be interested.
Cheers
 IPPurewater 13 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

I think the BBC showed Julia Bradbury walking some of this last week. Have a search on BBC I player to see if it is there. That might give you an idea.

I think you'd probably be ok in flexible walking boots. There isn't anything in my Lonely Planet Guide about this walk, however they do mention the Icelandic Touring Association (Ferdafelag Islands), who I think own the huts.
 David55 13 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

I have walked in Iceland on Dick Philips organised trips in the past. The kind of boots you would use in the Lakes are what we all used, and they were adequate. WE took our own stoves and cooking kit, but perhaps you should check the actual huts you are using. A search on Google reveals an Icelandic company you can hire kit from if you don't want to fly with it. It can get very cold even in summer, and I have been caught out with a sleeping bag not warm enough. Take care with river crossings.
When in Reykjavik do try the swimming pools and hot tubs.
DKNWHY 13 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

I did it at the end of July last year. It's a great route and well waymarked so you'll rarely need to consult the map.
B1 boots aren't necessarily. We both wore lightweight fabric boots. Saw some people wearing trainers!
We had a small bit of ice on the first day near the first hut but it was easy to skirt around. You could have a bit more in June.
If I were to do the route again, I'd opt for trail shoes with scree gaiters. Can be dusty crossing the volcanic sand.
Be prepared to cross rivers. I carried crocs on my pack. Poles are handy as they help to keep balanced.
We camped at the huts. The first hut on the glacier has no showers but the rest do. The Icelandic hiking website is spot on for information.
We booked coaches from Reykjavic with Reykjavic excursions. We opted for the hiking passport which offered multiple pick ups on the route. It's a fixed price regardless of how and when you book.
Feel free to message me if you want more info.
 Solaris 13 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

I have done sections of it at the northern and southern end, and I'd say solid walking boots are a good bet. The weather can be hostile - prepare for Scottish winter, including snowfields - but navigation on the trail shouldn't be difficult with all the marker posts.

One thing to be aware of is that June is early season and roads could be closed early in the month. From 2007-2011 the earliest, median, and latest opening dates for the Sigalda route into Laugar were, respectively: 02/06, 11/06, 29/06. For the more scenic route (the Landmannaleið) the dates were: 02/06, 13/06, 05/07.
 sheelba 13 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

Hi

I spent a summer doing conservation work in Thorsmork a few years ago at the end of the trail then hiked it the wrong way at the end with all my stuff. Echo previous advice really, trail shoes or boots should be fine but might be worth getting local advice on how much snow they'll be. I did it July/August and there was one large patch of snow to cross. (If you don't) Make sure you know how to safely cross rivers and have separate footwear to do so, the rivers may be fuller in June due to snowmelt and you rarely have to do those kind of proper river crossings in the UK. Finally be prepared for foul Scottish style weather, I didn't see a thing on the final two days.

I did it in 3 days so I'd imagine travelling light like that it would take not much more than two. The trail is easy and not that long, the hardest day is the possible extra final day from Thorsmork over the volcano. My main advice would be to enjoy Thorsmork and Lanmanalauger they are amazing places with some great walks from them which you can largely escape the crowds on the main trail (it's a bit of an Icelandic West Highland Way). All campsites at Thorsmork are lovely, have great wardens and lots of easy to adventurous (read non-existent) trails from them. Be flexible with your itinerary as well if leaving on the bus from Thorsmork as the river can become un-crossable to everything but the Icelandic snorkel equipped super-Jeeps after heavy rains which can delay your return to civilisation. Finally buy all your alcohol in the duty free BEFORE leaving the airport, really can't stress that last point enough.
 Solaris 13 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

PS: you could do it from northwards from Þorsmork (not sure when the roads usually open, but it'll be earlier) or from Skógar if the roads to Laugar are closed when you want to begin your walk, but there's more uphill to do that way and the views are less exciting.
 genericflipper 25 Feb 2014
In reply to adamholden:

I did this a few years back the wrong way (south to North) early in the season - June. The huts had just opened. navigation was easy without a map as it is well waymarked. there was some snow on one stretch. I wore SL M3s which seemed ok, but a bloke jogged past me wearing trainers and a hip pack! As others have said prepare for river crossings. dont miss the ice caves near one of the huts and the gorge at markarfljotsgljufur. From what others have said I was lucky with the weather and enjoyed incredible views for much of the time, though it was rarely sunny.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...