UKC

Walking on La Gomera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 13 Feb 2014
Thinking of taking a break next month to get away from this awful weather and get a bit of sun.

Has anyone waked on this island? Can you recommend any companies offering self guided walks with baggage transfers?
Removed User 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I can't recommend any companies although I do know there is at least one.

To be honest though the paths are very well signposted and if you buy a decent map I'm not sure you'd need a guide. The only place I found to buy a decent map was in the national park centre.
OP Trangia 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks for that - we are intending to be self guided for the walking, but were looking for a company which offers pre-booked accommodation and baggage transfer.

What did you think of the island and the walking? - I've never been there but it reads well.
OP Trangia 14 Feb 2014
In reply:

Anyone else been there?

Removed User 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

La Gomera is a lovely place with rather unique geography.

It's pretty much conical in shape with lots of deep valleys spreading radially from the centre of the island.

The climate varies markedly depending upon which side of the island you're on. The Northern/North Eastern side is green and gets a fair bit of cloud and some rain. The opposite side is in a rain shadow is is much drier. This leads to a dramatic difference in the flora and this occurs sometimes in the space of a few hundred meters on either side of the main ridge which runs NW/SE. Getting about is not quick, if you hire a car you'll find you spend most of your time doing 30 mph because the roads are so steep and windy. Also they tend to take circuitous routes between the villages. It's a small island though and you can get from anywhere to anywhere in an hour.

We stayed in Valle Hermoso which was really nice but might be a bit damp at this time of year. Valle Gran Rey is the main tourist area and is much drier and sunnier and isn't really very touristy. There's lots of walking along established paths from either place, or from anywhere on the island for that matter.
Rigid Raider 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

There is a bloke there who does guided walks and publishes a really first-class walkers' map on waterproof paper. If you can't find him by Googling, I can ask a pal who has the map and has been there recently.
OP Trangia 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

We are looking for self guided but would be interested in the map if it's not too much bother to ask your mate for the contact details.

Have found a company called Macs who do self guided accommodation and baggage transfer each day. Anyone used them there or elsewhere?
Rigid Raider 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I will ask. Back soon.
Rigid Raider 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

These are very good maps: http://www.dwgwalking.co.uk/
OP Trangia 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Very many thanks for that.

Trip now booked with Macs!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...