UKC

European multi-day walking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 15 Feb 2014
So I'm after ideas, again...

I'm looking for somewhere to go in Europe to do some multi-day walking. Probably looking at wildcamping, maybe with the odd hut. And I know you're not going to find much wilderness-untouched-by-the-hand-of-man within short-haul range, but getting out to some relatively remote and hard to get to places rather than just from one village to the next would be nice.

Scotland (Knoydart or the North West) is an obvious answer, and I'm also wondering about the Pyrenees - any particular suggestions on the latter front? Or anywhere else? No strong preferences regarding seasons...

At some point in my life I'd like to go and do some proper North American bear-dodging stuff (a game of Geoguessr took me to the Gates of the Arctic National Park in Alaska, which rapidly went from "where's that?" to "when can I go?"), so I'm kind of thinking of this as a warm-up.

Thanks!
 d_b 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Julian alps are awesome, though they don't like camping in the national park so you will be pushed toward huts. There are some via ferrata type routes, but the area is dominated by walking trails.

A couple of friends really rate the pyrenees, but I haven't been there myself yet. Cicerone do a guide, which seems pretty good.

Julian alps walking & VF pics:

http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2011/julian_alps_2011/
http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2010/slovenia_2010/
 d_b 15 Feb 2014

Norway is another obvious choice. There is an enormous amount of open land with masses of wild camping potential and the odd mountain hut.

Hardangervidda is an enormous plateau you could get lost in for a few days. For more mountainous terrain then Jonenheimen, Douvrefjell and Sunnmore are worth a look. Or maybe a hut to hut walk in the midnight sun, like the "Troms Border Trail" would fit.
 orejas 15 Feb 2014

What time of the year? If not july or august then traverse of the picos de europa 3 massifs will get you to some pretty remote areas

The Tatra mountains are gorgeous, easily accessible & yet wild & remote. Developed in parts for skiing, but you can avoid those areas.
The Carpathians in Romania are truly wild/remote/undeveloped & you would feel like you were discovering a hidden jewel.
The mountainous regions of Albania & Macedonia would also be alluring.
RoseValleyLodge 16 Feb 2014

Bulgaria is unspoilt and a real hidden gem. Wild camping, lots of mountain huts all within reach of Easyjet and Wizzair...
 peas65 16 Feb 2014

iceland!
OP Ramblin dave 17 Feb 2014

Thanks, looks like loads of good stuff here.

The Southern Carpathians have been sort-of on the list ever since I read that slightly fluffy Nicholas Crane book where he walks across Europe - they really look rather nice. Likewise the Picos, although the temptation there would always be to sack off the walking and go climbing...

Lots of other stuff to mull over, too.

Re Iceland, what are the best bits for walking? The Laugavegurinn? Or are there better places to go?

Thanks again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...