UKC

Recommend me some boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tiffanykate12 16 Feb 2014

I'm on the lookout for some new hiking boots, but would love some advice.

I've got a pair of Peter Storms that I've had for nearly 10 years - they've done everything from bimbles around fields, to blizzard conditions in the Lakes with crampons, to hiking Kilimanjaro. They're super comfortable (out of the box), can wear them all day, never had blisters, very sad to have to replace them.

Last year I got some Scarpa Cristallos in an attempt to replace and 'upgrade' the boots. I didn't wear them in as much as I could have, however one day on Helvellyn and my legs were in agony - the lack of movement or flexibility resulted in feet like lead, shin splints, and a very VERY uncomfortable hike.

So now wanting something in between - something comfortable from the word go, with enough flex to keep the circulation in my feet (and no, they weren't laced too tight!), but with the possibility of crampon usage. Basically a boot that can go from small hills to bigger mountains (planning Mont Blanc in summer 2014) with relative ease.

Any ideas out there?
Post edited at 10:30
 martinph78 16 Feb 2014
In reply to tiffanykate12:

I don't think that you'll get one boot that will meet your needs unfortunately. Stiffer boots like the Cristallo do take some getting used to but are stiffer for a reason.

I found using Sorbathene double strike insoles in my Scarpa SL's has changed the way the feel completely. They are much more comfortable on the flatter/tarmac sections, and less achy over a long day. It's almost made the boot feel "more flexible". Might be worth a try for your Cristallos.

Keep the Cristallos for winter walking and get something more flexible for the other three seasons perhaps?

OP tiffanykate12 16 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Thanks for the advice.

After the painful hike we did go to some outdoors shops and the guys were baffled as to why my feet went numb in the Cristallos as I could wiggle my toes, and there were no apparent tight spots in the lacing. It seems they're just not suited to my feet.

But will have another think about insoles.
 martinph78 16 Feb 2014

It could also have been your socks? Quite a lot of folk go for the thickest socks they can, thinking that they will be warmer, but this can restrict circulation.

I think it's more of a case of getting used to the Cristallos though. If they aren't actually hurting in one spot, or rubbing in another, I'd stick with them on some shorter walks and see how they go.

Did you use them in snow or on steep ground/scree/snow? That's where they might start to make sense. Walking on the flats or easy ground in B1's is more tiring.
In reply to Martin1978:

> Did you use them in snow or on steep ground/scree/snow? That's where they might start to make sense. Walking on the flats or easy ground in B1's is more tiring.

It was a combination of snow, steep ground, and scree. We had crampons at the ready but didn't end up needing them. Usually I'm the person who wears 2 pairs of socks for warmth, but on this occasion I decided not to.
 martinph78 16 Feb 2014

I'd stick with them. Start walking to work/the shops etc in them. You're feet break in to stiffer boots, and after ten years in Peter Storm boots (which would have been softer, and more so after ten years) they'll not know what's happened to them!
In reply to Martin1978:

I'll keep trying, but I admit I'm not convinced - also I don't want to have to buy a 2nd pair anyway for normal hillwalking. Having one that can adjust to multiple activities is ideal, especially as I'm more hillwalker than mountaineer.

> After the painful hike we did go to some outdoors shops and the guys were baffled as to why my feet went numb in the Cristallos as I could wiggle my toes, and there were no apparent tight spots in the lacing. It seems they're just not suited to my feet.

> But will have another think about insoles.
You could try alternative lacing techniques? My Cristallos initially caused problems with pressure on the top of the foot above the arch - pressing the blood vessels and causing spot rubbing. I re-laced them to avoid the cross over on the top of the foot where pressure was being exerted, and that made all the difference. No problem now.
If you are not sure about the various alternative ways of re-lacing, might be better to google as there are many sites out there showing lots of different ways to suit you own problem.
Of course the Cristallos will never be as comfortable as your old P Storms if they were more flexible to start with. But with use and adjustments to suit they should be much more comfortable than they are now.
> I'll keep trying, but I admit I'm not convinced - also I don't want to have to buy a 2nd pair anyway for normal hillwalking. Having one that can adjust to multiple activities is ideal, especially as I'm more hillwalker than mountaineer.

Remembering you have to adapt your walking style to stiffer boots and that takes time. If you are more a walker, then it just might be that these are the wrong type of boot for you? They are based on a narrow last, so tighter fit all round and of course stiffer. Do you need a wider last or more roomy boot?
A great all round hill walking boot is the Scarpa SL and personally that is my go to year round boot and has been for the last 25 yrs - the Cristallos are more for the upper end scrambling and climbing in the mountains routes. They can be used all round but the SLs are far more comfortable and are very capable for all sorts. The climbing zone on the Cs I find causes foot slip on soft grass, etc, and so IMO is not a good choice for routes just for walking if soft grass/mud/etc underfoot.
I have used SLs for example extensively in the Cuillin in summer for more years than I can remember with confidence. My experience is if a boot is not right for you, then accept that and get rid of. I say this as if a boot is really wrong for your feet you can actually end up damaging your feet.
If you are going to change, def recommend you look at SLs.
Post edited at 12:10
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Great, thanks. Will look into them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...