UKC

Marrakesh airport hotel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lenny 17 Feb 2014
Hi,
I am travelling to Morocco in a couple of weeks time. Due to flight times we will probably be spending the night near the airport before picking up a hire car and heading off. Could anyone recommend a cheap but good hotel?

thanks for any info,
Leon
 Martin Bennett 17 Feb 2014
We took a taxi to Hotel Ali in centre of Marrakesh - right by the main square, Jmaa el Fna, which in the evening is THE sight-seeing phenomenon of Marrakesh and backs on to the souk. Hotel Ali is part hotel/part hostel really but cheap and clean bedding. Also does set menu dinner and breakfast. Haggle with the taxi guy who will try to overcharge you. Then when he comes back for you next morning haggle again, don't assume the price will be the same!
 shantaram 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Lenny: There's no need for an airport hotel, as the airport is so close to the city. It's only 15 minutes taxi ride to the Djeema El Fna square which is right in the heart of the old city. Choose any hotel or riad you wish in Marrakech and don't restrict yourself to an 'airport hotel'. Take a taxi back to the airport in the morning if you need to pick up your hire car. Riads are definitely the way to go for accommodation in Marrakech. Much better value and experience than a bigger hotel.

mrchewy 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Lenny:

Hotel Ali wasn't that clean when I was there 18 months back. The bedding was filthy to be honest and both of us slept in sleeping bags. The square is about as overated as sightseeing could possibly get.

I'd pick up the hire car straight away and begone. Spend the night somewhere else...
 steveP 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Lenny:

Agree with mrchewy - Marrakesh is a dump and a lot of hassle. If you arrive during daylight hours, I would hire your car at the airport and head off straightaway. Jamaa el Fna is a fairly sad sight. Unless you enjoy seeing Vultures and Monkeys chained up for the amusement of the general public. The rest of Morocco is about one-million times better...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...