UKC

"No one should ever ride a bicycle"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zebidee 18 Feb 2014
"... no one who lives in our [community] should ever ride a bicycle or a motorcycle."

http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/dont-scare-our-kids-away-from-biki...

"I cannot tell you how many constituents over the years have told me that they are taking up bicycling for pleasure and exercise. I have told them not to do so but they usually do not listen – 90 percent of those people eventually were hit by an automobile ..."

Wait what? 9 out of 10 cyclists were hit by a car?
 scaredandweak 18 Feb 2014
In reply to zebidee:

and the other one of the ten got bitten/chased/knocked off by a dog/rat
 Choss 18 Feb 2014
In reply to zebidee:

Near pershore on a bike one evening a bat flew into my leg, pinged off and hit me in the side of the face. If thats not enough to put you off cycling i just dont Know?
OP zebidee 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

A bee once flew in behind my sunglasses when I was biking along a main road. They were swiftly launched off my face as quickly as possible.
 FactorXXX 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

Mate in work got knocked off his bike by a rampaging badger.
 Choss 18 Feb 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

See, bicycles are evil, animals hate them and they Know a thing or Two.

The Spookiest part of my Tale, i stopped and Looked for a stunned bat to help. couldnt find one. Creepy eh?
 AlisonSmiles 18 Feb 2014
In reply to zebidee:

A bee once flew down my cycling jersey and ended up in my bra. I was on an Alpine descent and yet I've never stopped and stripped quite so quickly. Quite right, nobody should cycle. Down with this kind of thing.
 hokkyokusei 18 Feb 2014
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Ouch!

But I believe this link is obligatory in threads such as this:
youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M&
 AlisonSmiles 18 Feb 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Vaguely reminds me of a mate of mine on a scooter who swerved violently to avoid a deer ... only to smack straight into the beware of deer crossing sign.
In reply to zebidee:

"Suffolk County is a suburban automobile community—drivers expect to see other drivers on the road not bicyclists and motorcyclists"

And, as we all know, only Commie pinko preverts ride bicycles; China, Cuba, etc. I rest my case.
KevinD 20 Feb 2014
In reply to scaredandweak:
> (In reply to zebidee)
>
> and the other one of the ten got bitten/chased/knocked off by a dog/rat

Perhaps by packs of killer Chihuahuas

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/20/chihauhau_menace/
 stouffer 20 Feb 2014
In reply to zebidee:

Commuting home with a mate one night a cat ran under his wheels sending him over the handlebars. I've never had to try so hard to suppress laughter.

Now I'll never get to witness such things cos that man's face makes me never want to leave the house again.
 Neil Williams 21 Feb 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Even living in the "city of the car" Milton Keynes (yes I know it isn't actually a city), the term "suburban automobile community" seems to me to sum up a very big chunk of what is wrong with society in the US...

Neil
 Oujmik 21 Feb 2014
In reply to zebidee:

I wonder if he could estimate what proportion of people taking up driving are 'eventually hit by an automobile'. Or indeed what percentage of people taking up the dangerous habit of pedestrianism are 'eventually hit by an automobile'. I suspect if he hangs around long enough he might eventually be hit by an automobile too. Let's hope when he does he apologises to the driver and to the vehicle for getting in their way.
 lee birtwistle 21 Feb 2014
In reply to zebidee:

Had a pigeon try to fly through my wheel / spokes once as I was going 30mph. All got a bit messy -for the pigeon anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...