UKC

Montserrat info please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A friend and I are climbing in the Montserrat area at the beginning of April. We arrive in Barcelona at 10pm and won't get to the climbing area until getting on for midnight. The simplest thing would seem to be to just doss out for the first night. Any suggestions about where would be best to park up without getting hassled in the morning.

We may stay one or two additional nights before heading off to Riglos. Not sure about using the camping near the monastery. Can you park your car at the monastery overnight? Is it safe to leave stuff in the car or should we lug everything up to the camping? How far is it to walk to the camping?

If we didn't fancy the monastery campsite does anyone know of other camping options that would be convenient for the climbing - we plan to do one route on the Cavall and then maybe some other routes on the south side.

Any advice much appreciated
In reply to colin struthers:

still hoping somebody knows about this

thanks

It's 20 years since I was there and all that I can remember is they don't sell rizlas
 mrchewy 19 Feb 2014

I was there back in Sept. We just parked up in any of the laybys and kipped in the van. No dramas, there were people doing this everywhere but there is a lot of trash lying about - it's gotta be the dirtiest national park I've been in.

Best advice I can give regards the climbing is wear a helmet. It's loose. Really loose.
 John H Bull 19 Feb 2014
Another one with 20 yrs-old advice, but I remember the campsite is v. close to the monastery but not much in the way of other options except scruffy lay-bys, parking at the monastery/village/campsite is no probs, not much to worry about as regards security as it's quite remote, should be fine just rocking up.

All the holds look good from below, but most aren't. Don't remember loose rock being a prob on the bolted stuff we did, inc high-up multi-pitch. Spotting brown bolts in the spotty terrain was quite problematic tho.

It's a long drive up the mt if you take the high wrong road (ie winding in from the west) - to be avoided.
Post edited at 20:23
 Derry 19 Feb 2014

Doubt you will be able to park up at the monastery on the first night as there is a gate at the entrance. There is overnight parking there but can't remember how much it costs as we stayed down in ministrol (which has a great outdoor store). Stuff should be safe in the car as long as its hidden - the monastery is deserted at night but very busy during the day. We walked up to the Gorros area which took about 45 mins. The refuge is about the same. No loose rock on those routes btw.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Feb 2014

My info is less than 10 years old. The camping is only open from Easter, there is no vehicular access to it. You can park below the monastery, there is a daily fee, but if you are stopping up there you get a discount. It is about a 10 min walk to the monastery/camping - always depending on how full the huge parking area is.
The rock is some of the most solid I have climbed on, not sure where the other guy had been. There is a refuge on the ring road (Sant Cecillia maybe??) that might be worth a look.
Great spot, with fantastic climbing, always been one of my favourite Spanish destinations,

Chris
 mark mcgowan01 19 Feb 2014

Stay at the farmhouse in El Bruc called Canserat. 15euros per night. Speak to Mohamad at Granada cafe on El bruc main street.

cheers Mark

Many thanks everyone - we can devise a sports plan on the basis of this.

Colin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...