UKC

bouldering near Whitby?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max factor 19 Feb 2014
Up there for Easter. What is worth a look within a 30 mins drive please folks?

Also, tips for venues with better conditions after rain would be helpful in case we are in a run of April showers.
 EBclimbing 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Max factor:

Check out the stuff on Betaguides NY Moors section

http://www.betaguides.co.uk/bouldering-areas/england.html?location=Ravensda...

and http://www.climbonline.co.uk/index.htm is worth a look though a bit out of date in places
OP Max factor 19 Feb 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:

Thanks, looks like a handy resource. Lots of potential venues thoguh and hard to tell quality and work out if they are conveniently sited. Any advice on which venues to have a look at in more detail?
 robin mueller 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Max factor:

The first link pinpoints Ravensdale.
 seankenny 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Max factor:

Where is Franco when you need him?

If he doesn't turn up, then email him. He's very friendly.
In reply to robin mueller:

Thank, I saw that and it looks pretty good, but not sure if that was coincidence that Ravensdale was linked or whether it the best venue thereabouts.

you have to pay to download the betaguides, which I'll do for a selection once I know which ones.
 EBclimbing 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Max factor:

Ravensdale is great, ravenswick less worth the trip. Some of the guides are free PDFs. I grew up in Helmsley which is inland a bit. The rock type is predominantly sandstone varying between fantastic solid stuff and crappy chossy mess. But there are a few gems on the northern moors around Danby area which tends to be better. Wainstones is good if you can be bothered to make the trip inland and there's also some sport climbing on Filey brigg which I'm told is well worth the trip on a sunny day.
In reply to EBclimbing:

Great, thank you.

I did some digging on the Betaclimb website, not too intuitive but did get it to a map overview of the moors with all the bouldering spots marked. Bridestones looks like another good area to have a look at that is not too far away.
 Franco Cookson 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Max factor:

As people have already commented. You have Boulby, Stoupe Brow, Smugglers, Creek Point, Blea Wyke on the coast. These aren't slow drying, but they're not particularly quick-drying either (mainly east facing). What grades are you looking at?

Inland you have Goathland (prime venue in the font 7s - about 15 minutes from Whitby and quick drying) and glaisdale (a bit further). After this (about 20-30 minutes away) you have the stuff near Danby crag and then the whole of Blakey, with Clemmitt's Thorgill, Rosedale, The Duck Boulders, Round Crag, Camp Hill and Round Crag.

Quite a bit to go at and all quite different.
OP Max factor 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Franco Cookson:

cheers Franco. it's only for a bit of snatched time away from the family, so the closer to Whitby the better. I don't do a lot of bouldering outdoors but usually say English 5b - 6a moves, definitely not font 7a.

If there is somewhere family friendly all the better; Bridestones is described as fitting the bill but realistically it would have to be very close to the car park as the kids are 0 and 2 yrs.
In reply to Max factor:

Your best bet is the table-top hill of Danby Crag then. You have Freyr's Nab, The Finklestones and Fairy Cross Boulders. A great spot that also provides a splendid walk. Lovely setting. You can drive down the A171 to exit for lealholm, then follow the road down Great Fryupdale. Either park on the corner here (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=473865&y=506780&z=115&sv=4... or continue round to park in little fryup and walk up the western side of the hill.

Freyr's is particularly quick drying (exposed and south facing) and on open access land.
In reply to Max factor:

And if you do everything there, you can pop up to camp hill and clemmitt's (1-2 mile away).
In reply to Max factor:

The Bridestones is fairly nice and not too far from the road. Stoupe brow has a 2 minute flat walk in, but is fairly limited below font 6c+ (still a few things mind).
 Dave Warburton 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Max factor: For lower grade bouldering near Whitby, i'd probably suggest the Bridestones.

You can park on the Sleights to Pickering road and walk in which isn't that long but it's an age since i've been so I can't remember how long it takes.

Alternatively pay £7?! or something to drive into Dalby Forest - safe to say i've never done that either!

OP Max factor 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Dave Warburton:

Thansk Franco and Dave, and the others replying to this thread. Got a good idea of what is nearby and now just hoping for a few quiet hours and good weather come the day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...