UKC

Climbing with kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EBclimbing 19 Feb 2014
Ok so I need to find some climbing in the sunshine, however the boss is reluctant to go on a climbing holiday as she wants a family holiday to "relax" and "chill out" on the beach, whatever that means?! Add into the mix that we have a 2 and a half year old and I'm struggling to think of somewhere that we can go... Ideally somewhere with beach bouldering or short sport routes with a good selection of easy climbs for the boss to have a crack at as well. Any and all suggestions welcome!
 AG 19 Feb 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:

I'm in the same boat!....done it in corsica before but it too pricey for me this year. Costa blanca is good in october but not for a summer climbing holiday. I'm to costa brava area in summer and hoping to find some climbing inland from there.
 tjekel 19 Feb 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:

Sardinia has several suitable venues, as areas around rovinj and on krk in croatia.
 Heike 19 Feb 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:

Kalymnos, Mallorca, Corsica, South of France and Thailand spring to mind..
 JIMBO 19 Feb 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:

No beach, but Font has been a good compromise several times with small kids
OP EBclimbing 20 Feb 2014
In reply to tjekel:

sounds good, where is krk?
Conquer the Crux 20 Feb 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:

The first place that sprung to my mind was Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. IT"S GORGEOUS THERE! You, your wife and kids will LOVE it there for sure. There is bouldering right on the white sandy beach, and you'll probably have the entire beach all to yourself since it's so secluded there. Let me know if your interested and I'll let you know the best ways to get there and where to stay

Other great places are Kalymnos, Sardinia and Aruba!
 Mark Adams 20 Feb 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:
Another vote for Font here. Ok, not strictly speaking a beach but very sandy ground at most circuits and family friendly with lots of other non-climbing stuff to do if that's an issue. None climbers can chill out with a glass or two of pop and pretend they're on a beach, most areas have easy circuits with safe landings. Not personally a fan of EuroDisney but that might work as a bribe/wet alternative if it suits. My kids (now 6 & 9), do the kids circuits, in busy areas they team up with other abandoned climber's kids, run wild in the woods, build dens etc. Geocaching can help to keep interest going with older kids. Not normally a big fan of bouldering but Font's different. First took my kids aged 1 and 3 years, it worked brilliantly and is now a regular family holiday with another family. We just set-up 'base camp' somewhere and the adults alternate climbing with kiddie watching. Also been to the Costa's with kids but somehow don't seem to get as much done and the brats get bored more easily.
Post edited at 09:09
 iainoman 20 Feb 2014
Have you given Oman in the middle east any consideration? There are plenty of fantastic beaches with DW Soloing very very close by. Or, if you fancied something EPIC, there is Jebal Mischt within an hour of Muscat.
I spent 3 years there, spent every weekend climbing (at least) and never got to visit all the crags. It's also very child/ wife friendly, and one of the safest countries I have ever visited.
If the boss wants to have a go, there is also some very good beginners slabs in and around Muscat.
 Simon Alden 20 Feb 2014
In reply to EBclimbing:

Malta and Gozo ...due to small size of islands crags are always close, theres plenty of bolted climbing at all grades, a few sandy beaches etc etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...