UKC

Boarding in climbing boots...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
petesam 19 Feb 2014
Was reading John Griffith's article about skiing in climbing boots...how about snowboarding in climbing boots: get a snowboard, screw on some b3 crampons. Surely a winner?
 Paul at work 19 Feb 2014
In reply to petesam:

Most of my snowboarding has been done in my Nepal Tops. I have found tgem more comfortable that snowboard boots.
In reply to petesam: You don't need to screw on crampons - just strap into the snowboard bindings!

I snowboarded into a route the other day in Spantiks. It was ok, but nowhere near as good as a snowboard boot - noticeably worse on heel edge. Way better than approach skis & spantiks.

I'm not sure how you can snowboard regularly in Nepal Tops Paul?

I still think approach skis and climbing boots is a fairly good combination if you're not guaranteed to be going downhill to the route and downhill form the route - a snowboard is a pain if there are any flat sections and/or skinning to do.
petesam 19 Feb 2014
In reply to petesam:

Ah yes, good point - crampons were my DIY mindset at work, normal bindings sound like a much better idea. Can you genuinely get enough edge control without the ankle support? And realistically, it's going to destroy both ankles if you catch and edge right?

Agree that "snowboarding approach" is a complete contradiction (unless on a splitboard!), but it could be fun for normal Scottish climbing where there's no snow until about 600m - walk out, climb up, board down to the snow line, walk back home. Need to find me a very cheap snowboard to play around with.

Next thought: foldable skis? Create a ski with a hinge, locks straight with some kind of plate on the topsheet/somehow with the bindings: saves that issue of carrying 2metre planks on steep ground. One day perhaps...
In reply to petesam:

I've got an old board you could have but you would have to pick it up from Chester/Wrexham.
 KiwiPrincess 19 Feb 2014
In reply to petesam:

It is good in powder downhill but in hard conditions alot harder on the heel edge. Especially since you have the extra weight of the Climbing gear as well.

Touring mode on my split board- better than snowboard boots.

You wouldn't use them to board for fun but moderate terrain to access Climbing they are fine.
petesam 22 Feb 2014
In reply to petesam:
Thanks for the offer Michael - unfortunately I live in Edinburgh, so it's probably too far. Will see if I can find something locally and try out boarding in climbing boots.

Have also found some 140cm 90mm-wide skis and some silvretta 404s that a guy on this forum is selling. On the very slim chance that I can justify spending yet more money this month, then maybe the mini-ski touring setup is a possibility, and probably makes more sense for actually getting around than boarding!
Post edited at 09:28
 Andy Lagan 22 Feb 2014
In reply to petesam:

I did a bunch of splitboarding in Spantiks last season, and they worked fine. The only issues were the highbacks digging into my calves, and the soles of course don't flex, so you get a fair bit of impact on the legs.
All in all the were pretty good, however I did just purchase a pair of fitwell backcountry boots that are way better to ride in and also have a heal welt for B2 crampons.
 TheGeneralist 22 Feb 2014
In reply to petesam:

I boarded in my koflachs for years. Only bought proper boots as the new board was too narrow and the toe overhang kept sticking in the snow. The placcies were infinitely more comfortable than the proper board boots.
 edinburgh_man 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Fultonius:

How about approach ski's and something like Dynafit TLTs for climbing in.

Great for long alpine ice routes, not as good for mixed - but it depends how hard mixed.

Reckon they would be pretty perfect for something like the Ginat, or the Swiss on Les Courtes?
 mattsccm 23 Feb 2014
In reply to edinburgh_man:

~I also used Koflachs for years. fine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...