UKC

Any nice walking/climbing within 2 hours of Newcastle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sj1295 21 Feb 2014
Hello,

A friend and I are looking at having the weekend away, walking and climbing. Does anyone know of a nice area, preferably with access to a youth hostel or similar, where we could find some nice walking and maybe some climbing within about 2 hours train/bus of Newcastle. Many thanks
 winhill 21 Feb 2014
In reply to sj1295:

you could get to keswick in less than 3
 Dave 88 21 Feb 2014
In reply to sj1295:

Within 100 miles (gotta be about 2 hours, give or take) there's the whole of the Lakes, North Yorks Moors, Yorshire Dales, Northumberland national park and the north end of the Peak. So you could say there's a bit about!
 Alpenglow 21 Feb 2014
In reply to sj1295:

Plenty of climbing in Northumberland an hours drive away.
Bowden doors, Kyloe, Simonside/Ravenheugh, Peel Crag/Crag Lough
 Alpenglow 21 Feb 2014
In reply to sj1295:

There's a bus and a train to Alnwick AFAIK
 tehmarks 21 Feb 2014
In reply to sj1295:

There's plenty about within two hours of Newcastle, but by public transport it's a bit trickier! Northumberland-wise you can easily get to Crag Lough/Peel Crag (train to Haltwhistle or Hadrian's Wall bus to Twice Brewed), Simonside/Ravensheugh (Stagecoach bus to Thropton) and Kyloe (Arriva bus to Fenwick). There's obviously also Causey Quarry on your doorstep too.

Last time I checked, the North Yorkshire Moors were a public transport write-off from Newcastle, but that might have changed.
 BrainoverBrawn 21 Feb 2014
In reply to sj1295:

The public transport bit worries me for slowing you down on the day as camping will already be an extra local leg and not that near to a venue. I reckon that some bouldering and routes on Salisbury Crags, Edinburgh would be fun for 2 days. You must register at the park police office near Holyrood parliament (last time I knew it) . There's a long continuous 5a traverse at low level and one trickier one at 5b above (one tricky corner on both at maybe even 5c but very low to the ground) and about 20 routes of severe to hvs, barring one E3.Take a helmet I reckon. Accommodation is obviously nearby in hostels.
 The Mole 22 Feb 2014
In reply to sj1295: simonside hills should be accessible by PT (Rothbury) there's good climbing and pleasant walking. No campsite or YH, though there may be reasonable alternative options. Wooler should be easy on PT and for accom. and you'd have the Cheviot hills on the door step, could prob get to crags by getting the bus to Belford or Fenwick from there. Alternatively Crag Lough and Peel crag and walking onHadrains wall from twice brewed where there is a YH and campsite. You'll have to google a bit to fill I the gaps in what's above. PM me if you need specific info

Mark

JDal 22 Feb 2014
In reply to The Mole:
For the full advnture just bivvy in the cave at Sandbag Crag (NZ023980) on the Simonsides. Bus to Thropton walk up to Simonside N Face, then go round the back to Sandbag (there's a big cave). Evening at Selby's cove, Sunday at Ravensheugh then the bus home. A grand weekend out.
Post edited at 12:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...