UKC

Safest climbing in the South East at the moment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 22 Feb 2014
I'm desperate to get out and do something outdoors, but everything near me is limestone and unstable at the best of times. With the amount of water we've had it's all very dodgy.
So, what's the most stable rock within 3 hours drive of Sussex? My usual haunts are Wye Valley, Cheddar and Swanage. I know I should head up to the grit, but it's just too far for a day trip for me.
 Choss 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:
probably Avon quickest Drying close to you?

Or theres always the chalk!!!
Post edited at 15:49
OP Hooo 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

>Or theres always the chalk!!!
Yeah, I was expecting some comedy answers.
Do you know Avon well? I've never been.

Choss 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:

I Live just down the road. Dries quick. An Acquired taste mind. Not for me, would rather the chalk
 Ciderslider 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:

Where in West Sussex mate ?

It has to be Swanage - although it will be interesting to see what effect all of this rain has had ?

We like to go up to the grit - but always for a couple of days as it's just too far for a day trip.
OP Hooo 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

I'm in Haywards Heath. Unfortunately I'm not going to get two days free in the near future, so grit is out. Do you think Swanage is less crumbly than the roadside stuff at Cheddar ( for example)? Reading about Tatra and the Portland landslide has scared me off the sea cliffs for a while. I'm after the most solid rock going, regardless of route quality!
OP Hooo 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

Worth a try for me then. What's it like for lumps falling off it? I'd probably head for suspension bridge, as I like routes with some gear on. I've heard the rest of Avon is very bold.
 Trangia 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:

You are wise to treat sea cliffs with respect at the moment.

This happened in Hastings last month

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2014-01-03/cliff-fall-warning/

CurlyStevo 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:

I was at avon at the weekend just gone, didn't encounter any dampness or loose rock.
 CurlyStevo 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:
> This happened in Hastings last month

Yeah but that is just a massive pile of shale and soft sandstone! Still I'd be very careful around Portland right now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...