UKC

strava app question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 22 Feb 2014
As im now cyclin with strava switched on for longer than my battery is lasting, if i switch to a new battery half way thru my ride for instance,
Will my fone carry on where it left off,and not lose any info for the ride ? (Galaxy fame by the way)
Thanks all
 sleavesley 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Rather than buy a battery why not buy a dedicated bike GPS tracker and leave your phone for emergencies?

Handtec have the garmin edge 200 at £82.
Wiggle have Cat eye from £70 and Bryton around £80.

I have a galaxy S2 and the battery is just shocking, hence why I am giving this advice.
The best thing to do is test the above anyway - just go for a walk with strava turned on then take the battery out and put it back in. Chances are it will not pick up where you left off as the phone will have to boot back up and to me doing that on every ride would be such a faff!
interdit 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

I don't think they have implemented a resume ride function, though it has been requested more than once.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21898056-Feature-Request-Allow-ride-reco...
In reply to Newbuild100:

Once you set the Strava app going you can "turn it off" so that it runs in the background, (Well you can on the iphone version), this extends the battery life by quite a bit.
 Enty 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

Garmin Edge 200 is all I use.

E
 Ridge 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

How long are you cycling for? My phone drops around 10% per hour using GPS (Samsung Galaxy S2).

I'm not a fan of the strava app, it's too reliant on 3G, which is a pain when you run where there's no signal, it just gets all confused. I use the Sporttrack app, which saves the info to the phone, then upload via wifi when I get home. It's fairly straightforward to get the GPX file for the run into strava.

Could your phone be constantly hunting for 3G, and that's what's hammering the battery?

To answer your original question, no. You'll get two seperate rides. You can email strava and they will splice the tracks together.
 ChrisJD 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Ridge:

> How long are you cycling for? My phone drops around 10% per hour using GPS (Samsung Galaxy S2).

> I'm not a fan of the Strava app, it's too reliant on 3G,

Strava on my Android phones (HTC & Samsung) has always worked fine without data turned on (GPS on of course).

I can't see the need for a separate GPS device - Strava works really well for me.

>To answer your original question, no. You'll get two separate rides. You can email Strava and they will splice the tracks together.

OR - download the GPX files from Strava, join yourself and upload, then delete the two separate rides.

Voltemands 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

Enty, is the edge 200 just for ride tracking, or can you set a route and get direction/turn prompts?
 Enty 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

It's just a basic bike computer - distance, speed, avg speed, time etc
But it's the cheapest model which gets you on Strava.

E
 sleavesley 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

It does the breadcrumb trail too - I have put the link above if anyone wants to do that. In that link I think you can set up alerts for strava segments if you so desire too.
 wilkesley 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Newbuild100:

A fairly cheap solution would be to buy a rechargeable battery: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001HG1ZFK/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00?ie... . Comes complete with torch. You can keep it plugged in to your phone while cycling. Gives you roughly the equivalent of one full re-charge.
 Kimono 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

its worth noting that the 200 is not so accurate for altitude. Not sure how it works but it is a different and more accurate system in the 500
 FrankBooth 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

> Enty, is the edge 200 just for ride tracking, or can you set a route and get direction/turn prompts?

If you upload a route (via Garmin Connect), you can follow it as a breadcrumb trail which basically indicates direction but doesn't show the road detail, if that makes sense? Its basic but works quite well (it beeps if you veer off course) and the batteries last ages. I switched from iPhone to an edge about a year ago - best £80 I spent!
 Enty 23 Feb 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

> If you upload a route (via Garmin Connect), you can follow it as a breadcrumb trail which basically indicates direction but doesn't show the road detail, if that makes sense? Its basic but works quite well (it beeps if you veer off course) and the batteries last ages. I switched from iPhone to an edge about a year ago - best £80 I spent!

How does that work then without maps on it? sounds horrendous?

E
interdit 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> its worth noting that the 200 is not so accurate for altitude. Not sure how it works but it is a different and more accurate system in the 500

The 500 has a barometric sensor, as does the old Edge 305 and the Edge 800 series.

All the others use GPS triangulation, this includes pretty much all smart phones.
The accuracy and precision of the triangulated elevation is less than the triangulated lat and long.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/05/understanding-sport-device-gps.html

Services like Strava realise that the barometric data is the most accurate source of an elevation track (though there can be problems in high wind) and that GPS triangulation is the weakest.
Where possible they elevation correct the latter using a datafile of elevation values for each lat and long point on your track. The data comes from the Google Map API and is publicly accessible.
There can be problems with looked up altitude data due to interpolation on steep or undulating ground.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20965883-elevation-for-your-activity

I have both sorts of devices. In the terrain I ride (French Pyrenees) I find Strava / Google maps almost always overestimates altitude by anywhere between 5 and 15% (and occasionally more) for the looked up values compared with the barometric device.

Garmin uses similar algorithms, but in addition has a tick box for each route that allows you to turn on and off altitude correction.
 Enty 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> its worth noting that the 200 is not so accurate for altitude. Not sure how it works but it is a different and more accurate system in the 500

Our club runs are mapped out on a few mapping websites and it seem pretty accurate to me - does what i need anyway, I'm not to an extra 500m of climbing on a ride
I gave up on all that heart rate stuff years ago when I started getting older lol

E
interdit 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

> How does that work then without maps on it? sounds horrendous?

On my 305 as you approach a junction it bleeps and tells you a heading to take. The little diagram also show the direction to take.

It's not like using a map equipped GPS, but is useful when riding in new areas.

You can now create routes on Strava, as well as all the previously available services, and upload those.
 Enty 23 Feb 2014
In reply to interdit:

But to be honest - I didn't have any sort of computer on my bike for about 5 years up to 2012 then I got the Edge 200 and it's perfect for my needs.
I think about the years when I used to upload my heart rates and stuff from my Polar watch - what a waste of time.............

E
Antigua 23 Feb 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

> Handtec

Would suggest you stay WELL AWAY from this company
 sleavesley 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

Why have you had bad dealings with them?
You can always use them for a price match with wiggle if that is the case!?
Antigua 23 Feb 2014
In reply to sleavesley:
They advertised an O.K price on a Garmin item that I found through a Google search. Noticed that they accept Amazon Payments so thought what the hell. The item was showing out of stock but on calling they said it was due in at the end of the week. I placed an order using Amazon Payments. The very next day I get an email from them saying that there security team has flagged up a problem. To cut a mildly long story short it was all bullshit BUT they ended up charging my card in full and told me to ignore the Amazon email saying that they'd despatched my goods. So end of the week turned in to next week which turned into the week after. So now a month later and no goods but they've removed £100's of from my account I get an email saying that they're no longer sure when the item will be in stock do i want a refund?. Thats rather interesting as the website says "due in soon order now" so I ring them and pose as a new customer. Yes we're expecting them at the end of the week best place your order ASAP.

Bunch of crooks!

BTW this is still on going
Post edited at 21:26
 Kimono 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Our club runs are mapped out on a few mapping websites and it seem pretty accurate to me - does what i need anyway, I'm not to an extra 500m of climbing on a ride

> I gave up on all that heart rate stuff years ago when I started getting older lol

> E

I only noticed how much out it was when i started riding with a mate who had a 500 and sometimes there was a couple of hundred mts difference in altitude between the 2 Garmins!

I am just about to get a HR monitor….will probably regret it before long
 alisonk 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

Not quite sure what has happened for you, but I have ordered 3 garmins from Handtec - paid by credit card and they were all delivered swiftly. I have never ordered anything out of stock though, as I am far too untrusting of the "its due in tomorrow".
Antigua 24 Feb 2014
In reply to alisonk:

They were the cheapest. I did call first and they did "confirm" it would be available by the end of the week. Its the fact that they've scammed the Amazon Payments system to take my payment for a product they probably knew they weren't going to be getting anytime soon that bugs me.
 FrankBooth 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

> How does that work then without maps on it? sounds horrendous?

> E

it's surprisingly okay! the result looks something like this...http://velogps.com/garmin-edge-200-hill-climb-alerts/
It basically gives you a running snapshot of a hundred metres ahead. It doesn't differentiate between a sharp bend and a road turning, so you have to use common sense,but if you overshoot a turn-off it beeps and displays an 'off-course message' (and then beeps again once you're back on track). If you've plotted the map yourself (e.g. with Garmin Connect ), or simply studied it properly before your ride, it all just falls into place. I use it all the time, now.
 wilkesley 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Antigua:

I have bought things from Handtec in the past without a problem. However, they shouldn't debit your card until they dispatch the goods. Complain to your bank/card provider and you should get a quick refund.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...