UKC

Pyrenees: Combined bike tour and easy climbs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 23 Feb 2014
Thinking about a bike tour in the Pyrenees combined with some easy climbing particularly on the bigger peaks, say up to Diff/ V.Diff.

Not planning to take ropes, just fell running shoes, rock shoes and a chalk bag.

The combi of riding up hills with panniers and quick ascents of easy peaks will form an integral part of my 3 Peaks CX training!

Any recommendations for where to go and what to do?

Cheers.
Removed User 23 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Off the top of my head, on the French side you could ride from Oo to Les Granges Astau which would give you access to the Espingo hut and a variety of peaks. From Luz St Saveur you can ride into the Cirque du Troumouse and to Gavarnie, and of course you'd be at the bottom of the Tourmalet. From Gabas in the Ossau valley you get access to the Pic du Midi d'Ossau.

I'll give this some thought and post more if anything else pops into my head.

OP DaveHK 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Splendid. I know very little about the Pyrenees so I finding it difficult to get started planning.
 Tom Valentine 23 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Here's one of my best days in the Pyrenees:

From Camping D'Iscoo just outside Leas Eaux Bonnes, follow the ridge up towards Gourette/ Pic du Ger. Join the arete proper at the Col de Coutchets, follow it to the Turon du Ger, then a stretch of a cheval or easy hand traverse to the Salon du Ger , followed by the summit ridge.
Amble back down to Gourette for a late lunch, then walk down the road checking out the gradients for your following day's bike ride from the same campsite: the Col D'Aubisque.
 Doug 23 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Pic de Neovielle would be an option, maybe from the Refuge d'Orédon which you can cycle to, or from the north from the route over the Tourmalet. Scrambling rather than climbing but good fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...