UKC

What to do in Warsaw?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 23 Feb 2014
Is there any rock anywhere near? What else is good in the Polish capital? I've never been. Just off there for a conference.

I will of course be googling this question too, but I thought I'd pick the UKC collective brain about it.

Oh, and while I'm at it: I'm flying Ryanair <shudder>. I try not to--I've heard the horror stories--but in this case I had to, really. Any Top Tips on how to beat their systems before their systems beat me up?

Thanks in advance...
 Doug 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

I spent a couple of days there for a conference, unfortunately it was in a hotel/business centre by the airport & I only managed to get into the city centre for a couple of hours. I just wandered about a little, visited the site of the Jewish ghetto & was surprised to find a Marks & Spencers (this was a couple of years ago at a time when the Paris shops had not long been closed & we'd been told that all the non UK branches had been shut, I later found one in Prague as well).

I'm sure others will have other suggestions.
Tim Chappell 23 Feb 2014
In reply to Doug:

bump?
 ben b 23 Feb 2014

The Old Town is interesting in a bombed out and completely rebuilt kind of way; there was a particularly magnificent band of old codgers there banging out a few numbers, who were a cross between the Stones and the Wurzels. Absolute gold - I hope they are still going but they must be at least 150 by now!

The various memorials to the Holocaust in the ghetto are worth a sombre visit, and the ridge of high ground to the east above the river where most of the adult male population were wiped out similarly. There's not much 'original' authentic pre-war Warsaw left, but plenty of dismal Cold War concrete apartments and the giant concrete "Wedding Cake' palace of Culture and Science looms above the lot.

Lazienski Palace was probably the best of the old palaces IIRC, but it was a decade or more since I was there.

Have a great trip

b
 Bulls Crack 23 Feb 2014

Wash some cars?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...