UKC

bent wires on nuts safe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam.carr21 23 Feb 2014
Hey, the other day I got a nut stuck and eventually yanked it out using a torque nut, this left the wire of the nut rather bent but still in perfect condition otherwise (no fraying etc) is it still perfectly safe to use? although may be a little awkward to place.
 Jack B 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

Hard to say without looking at it, though I'd be surprised if you've managed to damage it.

If the wire is still laid correctly with no broken strands, I'd keep using it. I'd retire it if it had broken strands or the wire was kinked enough to mess up the pattern of the stands.
OP sam.carr21 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Jack B:

http://i59.tinypic.com/302ugxc.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/jp8uxk.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2evahxj.jpg

cheers thats what I thought heres a few pics for you to double check
 Oceanrower 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

Personally, I'd have no problem whatsoever using that but it's really down to you.

If you feel confident that it's ok, use it. If not, It's only what? 8 or 9 quid for a new one.
 FactorXXX 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

From the photo's you've linked, I'd say that the nut is 100% OK.
One thing though, get yourself and your second to use a nut key as the primary way of removing gear.
A quick prod with a nut key, is often better than trying to remove gear by randomly yanking on the wire.
 butteredfrog 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

You just need to take a good big fall onto It, to straighten the wires out!

Personally I would be happy using it again.

Adam

LastBoyScout 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

One of my smaller wires has a bit of a kink near the nut - I've been using it like that for years. Just makes it a bit awkward to place sometimes.
 JimboWizbo 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

Funny. This happened to one of my nuts on Saturday (forgot the nut key and the wire fell victim to a yank fest). I think I'm just going to replace it on Payday. I like the idea of "if you're not sure, replace it" when it comes to climbing gear.
 andork123 24 Feb 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

I spent about 20 mins trying to get it out with a nut key while soloing it, it was defiantly not moving without yanking at it :P
 Bob 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

Unlikely to have caused any damage unless you are capable of exerting 12KN of force, in which case remind me not to get on your wrong side!

Personally I wouldn't worry about the odd frayed strand of wire unless it was continually snagging.
 Rob Parsons 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

They are fine.

(Good choice on the penguin Duck Tape, too ...)

Busby 24 Feb 2014

Wedge it somewhere secure and out the way and hang a weight off it overnight, boom, back to normal.

MNA123 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

My rack is full of knackred looking bent battered nuts, i only retire them if the wire frays or they go a bit rusty looking.
 ianstevens 24 Feb 2014
In reply to Adam Moroz:
Looks better than any of mine - as long as the bend is less than the bend at the top (i.e. where the wire passes through the nut) I assume its fine - after all, if the manufacturer can bend it that much...

(edited as I can't spell)
Post edited at 22:00
 deepsoup 24 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

I wouldn't be too concerned about that. If your thumbs are up to it, you may find you can 'massage' the worst of the kinks out.
 JimboWizbo 25 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

I just want to add that imgur.com is an image hosting website that isn't soul destroyingly frustrating
 edunn 25 Feb 2014
In reply to sam.carr21:

HA! All my nuts look like that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...