UKC

Hardshell trouser

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 24 Feb 2014
High

I am looking for a new pair of hardshell trousers ideally ones I can use in winter and summer climbing would be good if they are light . I have 34inch legs so struggle a bit . Has anybody got any recommendations .

Many Thanks
 The Potato 24 Feb 2014
In reply to kingjam:

id suggest army goretex ones from army surplus or ebay, they are quite long and light
 Kai 24 Feb 2014
In reply to kingjam:

Rab Stretch Neo Pants are the best hard shell pants I've used.

Breathability is excellent. Slim fit.

http://us.rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/shell/stretch-neo-pants.html
 CurlyStevo 24 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I bought some ex army goretex ones many years ago - leaked like a sieve, guess thats why the army didn't want them anymore.
 The Potato 24 Feb 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

ive had mine a few years and no problems!
 Roguevfr 24 Feb 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Bullet holes.
 wilkesley 25 Feb 2014
In reply to kingjam:

I have got 34" legs too. I have some Berghaus Paclite, which are very light and waterproof. However, I wouldn't use them for climbing, as paclite seems very fragile. I also have some Berghuas Deluge, which are breathable and very water resistant and the fabric seems very robust. However, they are heavier than the Paclite ones.
 CurlyStevo 25 Feb 2014
In reply to kingjam:
Berghaus storm represent very good value and are hard wearing. They are the old 3 LAYER GORETEX from around 10 years ago but it works fine and is robust.
Post edited at 10:26
 Mike-W-99 25 Feb 2014
In reply to kingjam:

Beghaus Hellvellyn come in multiple leg lengths. Seem to be on sale everywhere.
I got a pair and so far they've been fine.
 CurlyStevo 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

are they 3 layer goretex?
 Mike-W-99 25 Feb 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Dunno, they were cheap, well sized and so far have kept my legs dry.
 CurlyStevo 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Do they have a lining? If so they are not 3 layer goretex which is generally better for climbing in as its lighter, less hot and more robust.
 TobyA 25 Feb 2014
In reply to kingjam:

> I am looking for a new pair of hardshell trousers ideally ones I can use in winter and summer climbing

Do you mean winter - as in Scottish winter climbing, and summer - as in mountain rock in the UK? In which case I think two pairs is the best solution - something very light and cheapish for summer (Marmot Precip for example) that you wear only when it tips down and your are caught out. Then for winter blow whatever you can spare on some proper salopettes or troos made out of Goretex Pro, Neoshell, etc etc. They are expensive though.

Alternatively find some sort of decent softshell that works for you in winter and carry your very light shell trousers (will need to be full side zips) as cover in stormy or rainy conditions.
 Marcus Tierney 25 Feb 2014
In reply to kingjam:

Have you considered these. If you intend to stick crampons in them cheap is good.
I personally prefer goretex as my Event Montane over trousers and jacket have been very poor.

http://store.karrimor.com/karrimor-elite-phantom-event-pants-mens-442089?co...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...