UKC

Madeira in March - any experience or advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 genericflipper 25 Feb 2014
Ive read some bits about the walks into the higher hills and the levadas and watched some clips of people in trainers and shorts climbing Pico Ruivo on well built paths. Some other accounts warn of deaths and recommend travelling in groups, so Im a bit confused as to what to expect.

Any experience and advice on footwear etc and what conditions I could expect would be appreciated.

Thanks
 Tom Valentine 25 Feb 2014
In reply to genericflipper:

As I recall you can more or less drive up Pico Ruivo (if you want)
 ferretboy75 01 Mar 2014

I went to Maderia last march, we only ever walked in trail shoes/trainers, the path we took up Pico Ruivo was well paved and sign posted in the main,however several sections of the path were near impassable due to rock falls (offically the path was closed).The path was quite exposed in parts but there where hand rails in those places. Some of the levada walks had quite rocky and uneven paths but nothing we felt required boots. You can drive to within a few hundred meters of the Pico Ruivo peak wherenyou will find some kind of radar station ? and cafe that does great steak and cheese sandwichs on maderian bread.
In reply to ferretboy75:

Thanks, that has helped me make a decision to leave the boots at home.
 victorclimber 02 Mar 2014

I walked in Merrel Sandals never had a problem,have to say the walking wasn't realy my cup of tea
 ebygomm 02 Mar 2014
We've been twice in February. Boots not really required but may need a head for heights. Mist and clouds mean pico ruivo may not be possible depending on weather. Landslips frequently close paths.
 Fester 02 Mar 2014

I was there last January and done the Pico Arriero to Pico Ruivo traverse there and back in trainers.There are a few tunnels on the route for which a head torch could be useful but you would probably get away with a mobile phone light as they are fairly flat inside.The return route on the eastern side was blocked off with a sign saying a landslide had taken the path away but I went along it anyway and there wasn`t a problem.
Pretty impressive scenery !
Pico Grande is a good day out with just a bit of easy scrambling to the summit.

Thanks for all the replies. Im not set on Pico Ruivo - I doubt if I'll get there, but the other peaks nearer Encumeada eg Pico Grande, might be possible. I wont have a car so will be using buses from Encumeada.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...