UKC

New Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike7 27 Feb 2014
Has anyone used / done more than fondle the Salewa Pro Vert or the new Sportiva Cube GTX models?

My old Sportiva Nepal Evo GTXs are a bit done in, so I thought I might treat myself to a new pair of winter boots.

They'll be used for ice climbing as well as general use in both Summer Alpine & Scottish winter - and maybe more depending on what model I decide on and how warm they feel when they're put to the test.

I've been waiting for the Cube to land before buying a replacement pair, but I also like the look of the new Salewa models too, so I'm interested in the opinion of anyone who's used them and whether they rated them against the old nepal (and where possible) the new Cube GTX.

Cheers
In reply to Mike7:

Hi Mike

I'm just starting a review of the Salewa Pro Vertical. Hopefully they'll get their first outing tomorrow. It's a long term test so we won't be publishing anything imminently.

Initial thoughts based on just wearing them round the office: They seem superbly made and very robust (time will tell). Weight very reasonable. Fit seems good on me (my feet are fairly narrow heel, fairly wide at the toes) - and two width fittings are available. Super chunky tread - i guess it'd be quite good for soft snow and general Scottish muck.

A couple of small touches that I like here in the office (not road/hill tested them yet tho): little stretchy integral gaiter thing; locking lace eyelet down near toe...

And of course I have to mention the ability to switch between slightly flexible walking mode and a full rigid sole climbing mode. A clever idea. will it catch on? I can't say what my opinion of this will be til I've had it out a few times. Potential doewnsides? Could it clog with dirt? Let in moisture and then freeze up? I'm just imagining problems that haven't happened yet but the obvious one is of course, what happens when I lose the allen key halfway through a trip?
OP Mike7 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan, much appreciated.

I'll look forward to any updates you post as and when you put them to the test.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...