UKC

Another continuous winter munro round?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
llechwedd 28 Feb 2014
I recently came across this
http://whiteburnswanderings.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/ryvoan-outing/

Anyone know how the 'Will from Ullapool' mentioned in the above article is getting on?
In reply to llechwedd:

No idea, but good for him. Reminds me somehow of the Man from Porlock. Maybe 'Will from Ullapool' will play the same role in this small corner of history.

jcm
llechwedd 28 Feb 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> No idea, but good for him. Reminds me somehow of the Man from Porlock. Maybe 'Will from Ullapool' will play the same role in this small corner of history.

> jcm

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/176220
 TheseKnivesMan 28 Feb 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Will is a really good friend of mine! I was wondering if this was gonna get picked up here. He is a bit of a beast...he isn't just attempting a continuous round. Last May I think it was he set off from the Solway Firth in his Sea Kayak, then he paddled right round the coast of Scotland to Berwick upon tweed, which took him until September, then as soon as he got done with that he hopped on his bike from there and since then he's been zig zagging up the country climbing every munro!

He has a few gear sponsorships from Rab etc, and you can watch his (almost) daily video blogs here: http://punkt.luxson.com/MachairToMunro2013/ on this slightly confusing website. He has a text blog floating around somewhere as well.

Hell of a thing to do straight after graduation!

In reply to llechwedd:

His bike is buggered at the moment I think so he's having a few days off, but as far as I can tell he's just ticked all the Cairngorms and is heading West again.

Most of his videos are the Munro summits in whiteout conditions, but he has a few absoloutely belting shots up, as well as here http://willcopestakemedia.com/

I know I sound like I'm marketing for my mate, and I kind of am, but he deserves it!
llechwedd 28 Feb 2014
In reply to TheseKnivesMan:

Sounds like a fantastic adventure!

I must have a look at the links you've given.

Wow - some tremendous photographs on there. And wow again doing Blazing Paddles Mk 2(?) and a winter Munro round back to back.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I know! Fair talent there. I hate Will for following his dreams unlike the rest of us from School. I know you're reading this Will ya fud.
willcopestake 28 Feb 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Hey folks.
I am the 'Will from Ullapool' mentioned in Paul's Blog.
Hills are going great, I have now finished the Cairngorms and am left with 95 left to go. I am waiting for a new chainring for my bike being delivered up north in Ullapool so have briefly hitched north to do the Fannich Range until it arrives.

Feel free to get in contact via my site posted by TheseKnivesMan if you fancy joining in for a few munros as I head up the West Coast. Aim to finish end of April/Early may (slowest continual round ever?)

Best
Will

Haha Always room for company dude..
llechwedd 28 Feb 2014
In reply to willcopestake:

> Hey folks.

> I am the 'Will from Ullapool' mentioned in Paul's Blog.

. Aim to finish end of April/Early may (slowest continual round ever?)

What a trip of contrasts- stung by a wasp, heading for Ben Lomond, and now Cairngorm whiteouts.
I guess that's an experience few of us will ever have during one trip- seeing the onset of winter, going through winter and then watching the spring unfurl.
Something to be said for going slow

Have the snowshoes proved useful?

In reply to llechwedd:

Aha yes its been fun to live out the seasons for sure.
The Snowshoes really came into their own over the Cairngorms, I will be interested to see if they are left in the wake of crampons on the western hills.
They also strap onto a bike considerably easier than skis.

CMCM 28 Feb 2014

Well done Will. Outstanding mate - I'll be keeping an eye on your progress from now on! Good luck for the remaining Munros and stay safe!

Craig
 fmck 01 Mar 2014
In reply to llechwedd:
Epic stuff look forward to following this just wish I knew about it earlier.

I spent a good amount of time living in my ol van so I could achieve a completion of the Munros, Corbetts, Graham's& donalds on the same day and found it really tough. The thought of what your doing sounds flamin torture. On a bike, during winter after paddling round Scotland. Very impressed!

llechwedd 01 Mar 2014
In reply to fmck:
> Epic stuff look forward to following this just wish I knew about it earlier.

The thought of what your doing sounds flamin torture. On a bike, during winter after paddling round Scotland. Very impressed!
>
I'd like to be out there now as well. But it's not me on the trip, Will Copestake's your man.!
Post edited at 13:08
willcopestake 02 Mar 2014
In reply to fmck:

Very impressive fmck!!!Which Mumro/Corbet/Graham/Donald route did you finish on out of curiosity? I finish on good ol Ben Wyvis and will post a completion date when I know so anyone can join for it if they wish.

I must admit the last few months have been very very wet but on the upside more bothies and an occasional hostel between camping has made for slightly drier kit once in a while.

Best
Will

willcopestake 02 Mar 2014
In reply to CMCM:

Cheers Craig! Will do my best.
 fmck 03 Mar 2014

It was planned for Munros, Corbetts & Grahams. I then decided to include the Donalds(Inc new) So the route did end up a bit of a potential mess but worked out. Link to a wee article from it below.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/walker-celebrates-unique-quadruple-comp...

I had a spell when the weather was just cloud and rain for weeks. I just had to go home it had me feeling like it was a job and no longer fun. That was a bad summer not a wet winter and in a van not a bike.
I know its not something I would try but you seem to have the metal to cope. Best of luck keep posting.
willcopestake 03 Mar 2014
In reply to fmck:

What a fantastic achievement Fraser! That must have been a first for sure!

pog100 03 Mar 2014

That's a great blog you have there, simple clear writing and lovely photography. Well done on going for it all!
In reply to llechwedd:

Here's an interview we've done with Will: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=6190

What a journey.

I think he's back to the hills again today so good luck with the rest of it Will, and fingers crossed for some joy with the weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...