Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Single Rope Advice

Psych on 28 Feb 2014
I am looking to get a new single rope for indoor + outdoor sport climbing as my current rope has been damaged. The rope will mainly be used for leading and I expect to take a lot of falls.

I don't want to spend too much money so I'm looking to buy one rope that is suitable for pretty much anything rather than having separate ropes for indoor / outdoor etc... (although I already have half ropes for most trad). That said, I am happy to pay more money if the rope will last longer.

If I'm buying just one rope I think 60m is probably a good enough length to do most of routes at crags I am going to be visiting without being overly heavy. Based on what I have managed to fine online, I have narrowed down the contenders to this list (but open to any other suggestions):

Mammut Superflash 10.5mm 60m 100
Mammut Vertex 10mm 60m 65
Edelrid Perfect 10mm 60m 70

It is the most expensive, but the Mammut Superflash is dry treated which is definitely an advantage as the rope is likely to get used at Sea Cliffs (Portland). The only thing putting me off the Superflash is that it is very thick / heavy. I want a hard wearing rope, but I don't want to spend 100 and then discover that it isn't suitable as it is horrible to belay.

Does anybody have any opinions on whether this rope is suitable as an all-round rope? Any advice would be much appreciated.
... not showing 11 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums