UKC

saas fee guide book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alimckay 01 Mar 2014
I wonder if anyone can recommend a guide book for the Saas Fee area in Switzerland? Itll manly be for alpine and alpine rock routes. The one that's been recommended previously on here seems to be out of print now. Is there a new one planned ready for this summer season?

Thanks ali
 Mountain Llama 01 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay: alpine club valais east, its out of print, so check amazon etc.

mysterion 01 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:

Out of print maybe but I have seen Valais Alps East in several Cotswolds a few months back.
 JLS 01 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:

If it's your first visit and you have only limited ambition then this one will get you up a few 4000m peaks. A topo for dri horli rock routes can be obtained at the hut. Jeggihorn routes and saas sport crags could probably be figured out from the ukc logbooks plus a flick through the local topo in the gear shops.

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/Foreign-Climbing-Guid...
OP alimckay 02 Mar 2014
In reply to JLS:

Yes it will be my first trip to the area so that might be a good starting point thanks.

I guess the next question is if anyone has a copy of either guide book they'd be willing to part with!?
 The Ivanator 02 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:
Here are a couple more options that are currently in print:
Oberwallis (comprehensive rock climbing guide to the region, mostly bolted climbing)
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/book.php?id=1208
& Martin Moran's excellent 4000m Peaks of the Alps (good general guide for multiple trips to the European Alps)
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=478
OP alimckay 02 Mar 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

Thanks a lot gives me a few more to find as well as tracking down the out of print alpine club valais east. The Oberwallis one looks interesting for alpine rock routes and the 4000m peaks of the alps looks like a good one too, but I would prefer one of the other for acclimatisation climbs too.

Thanks again!
 The Ivanator 03 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:

Some of the higher rock routes in the Saas valley (which are in the Oberwallis guide) can be an effective acclimatization. Dri Hornli and Jegihorn routes all top out around 3000m. On my last visit we used these routes for exactly this purpose, makes a good contrast with Alpine snow plodding too.
On rock I enjoyed Alpendurst on Jegihorn (straightforward climbing S/HS in UK trad terms, 14 pitches) also Heimweh and Hittuleicht on the Dri Hornli (both about 6 pitches and HVSish). The best straightforward (PD) tick in the valley is the traverse of the Weissmies from the Almageller hut, the Hohlaubgrat on the Allallinhorn is good too - gets AD on here, but only one short section that needs to be pitched (VDiffish step near the summit). Have a good trip, it is a great area.
OP alimckay 03 Mar 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

A few very nice looking routes there, thanks for your recommendations! Where would everyone say is a good campsite to stay at in the area? I've done a bit of research and found a couple of places, just looking for recommendations really.
 psaunders 03 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:

Camping Mischabel is nice, there's another, bigger one a bit closer towards Saas-Grund but I think it's more expensive.

If you stay at Mischabel you're right next to the sport climbing in the gorge, there's a bus stop right outside, it's at the bottom of the path up to Saas-Fee and they give you a discount for any nights you're up high. Only down-side is the walk into shops of Saas-Grund, which is about 10 minutes.
 The Ivanator 03 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:
Camping Mischabel is a good option. Another one is the camping directly behing Hotel Bergheimat in the centre of Saas Grund (near the Hohsaas lift) bit of a poky little site, but big bonus is free use of the hotel pool which is welcome after a hard hill day
Post edited at 23:58
 JohnnyW 04 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:

I bought the outrageously priced local sport-route guide from the Intersports in Saas Grund. It's all in German, but gives you an idea of the routes at Feechi etc. I'm afraid we'll need it, as we are out there the last two weeks in July again.

I have always camped at Kappelenweg, which is just before Mischabel, and therefore nearer the shops etc. I like it, and he too only charges for the tent if you are on the hill (and can provide the hut chitties).
OP alimckay 04 Mar 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks everyone! Seems like there isn't really a bad campsife, all the ones that I had found have had a couple of good reviews from this thread and there is only a couple of francs difference between them all. I'll probably go for the one thats nearest the shops.

One last question, what is it like getting screw on gas canisters in saws fee/grund? Or is it better taking a converter for the pierce type canisters?

Thanks
 JohnnyW 04 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:

No problem with the gas
 mc2006 04 Mar 2014
In reply to alimckay:

We are looking at Saas Grund mid July or August, we are looking at the Mischabel campsite, looks good and comes highly recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...