UKC

Increasing distance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 03 Mar 2014
Ok, fairly new to the road biking but keen to extend the miles.
Current ride at the weekend is approx 40 miles, give or take depending on route but have entered a 100 mile sportive in 9 weeks so need to extend the mileage.

Aim is to build it up incrementally but where should I stop - i.e is there any point in doing a 100mile cycle for the two weeks preceeding the event or should I taper off at around the 80 mile mark for a few weeks?

Also - what is generally the cut off / broom wagon speeds on these things (never having done one before I want to finish it and not get picked up by teh wagon)?
 Bob 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pids:

Unless you really want to then your longest training ride should be around 75% of the target distance. Unless the last few miles of the sportive are particularly nasty (some like the Ride with Brad are) then you'll finish using "summit fever".

The event notes will state cut-off times, there isn't usually a broom wagon, usually the time relate to things like food stops though on occasion it also refers to the time that they start packing up at the finish.

Did one yesterday (Eden Valley Sportive) and the event notes stated that if you were likely to take more than 7 hours then you should set off early as a late start (up to 10:30) would mean you finishing in the dark. Most set off early (before 9am) and there were 30min queues to start whereas we started later and only had to wait five minutes or so. Did have the advantage that there were lots of riders ahead to pull you along.
 Richard Carter 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pids:

I've only been on 2 sportives that had a broom wagon, on both occasions it went round at 11mph so I wouldn't worry about it!
 JLS 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pids:

You'll be fine. It's not like you'll be riding alone. You're fit enough that you'll be in with a decent sized group and be sucked along. Don't think in miles, think in hours on the bike. If you can train up to about 5 hours in the saddle and suss out feeding and cafe stop such that you don't bonk then you're sorted.

I'm guessing if you do say 50 miles to a cafe stop then 30 miles home that'll give you a good five hours in the saddle.

I'm assuming you'll have a stop in the Sportive too or are you hoping to go round non-stop?
 JohnnyW 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pids:

I have done a good few sportives, and for a fat old bloke, I was quite pleased with 81m at 19.54 avge last year at the Etape de Caledonia.

I have always used this simple training plan, and it's worked for me -

http://bicycling.about.com/od/trainingandfitness/a/century.htm
 Chris the Tall 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pids:

My training for 100 mile off road race peaked a fortnight before with a ride of 75 miles, followed by some, shorter hard rides, and very easy in the final week.
 Oujmik 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pids:

There's no need to ride 100 in advance, but as others have said you need to get used to the time in the saddle. This can be a huge factor in sportives as your arms, back and shoulders can take a real hammering if you're only used to riding for 3 hours and you suddenly up it to 6 or 7.

Are your 40 mile rides with other people or solo? You need to get some experience riding in a group if you don't have any. The good news is that it is much easier in a group, so if you can ride 60 solo you should have no trouble riding 100 in a group as long as you know how to ride together.

I'd suggest riding in a group for 3-5 hours each weekend (ideally three building up to 5, but that's not really in your control unless you pay them!). Maybe drop it down to only 1 or 2 hours the weekend before the 100 miler.
 Hat Dude 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pids:

Sportives I've ridden haven't had a Broom wagon, just cut off times at the timing stations. If you start early enough you shouldn't need to worry too much.
 Brass Nipples 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Pids:
Fitness wise if you can ride 40 you can ride 100. Most of what you are worrying about is in your head. The longer distances will help you mentally relax but aren't essential. The times for sportives are quite generous and you don't need to ride all that fast. Focus on eating and hydration to ensure you don't bonk and getting comfortable on your bike as that it what may scupper you on longer distances.
Post edited at 18:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...