UKC

How out of date is my 2005 Dorset guidebook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Stretford 04 Mar 2014
Thinking of putting it up for sale as no imminent plans to go and if I did I might think about getting the newer one, depending on what the good folk of ukc say.

Choss 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Papillon:

> Thinking of putting it up for sale as no imminent plans to go and if I did I might think about getting the newer one, depending on what the good folk of ukc say.

After this Winters storms, i Expect theyre all out of date now
 dale1968 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Papillon:

I have Dorset 2012 fs
In reply to dale1968: Interesting.... I may update depending on what people say.
 CurlyStevo 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Papillon:
It depends if it has pictures or not. I have the Dorset guide before that and without photos it makes it pretty hard to decipher where the old lines are compared with the new ones.
 kedvenc72 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Papillon:

There have been a lot of developments in Dorset since the 2005 guide with whole new venues developed mostly in the lower grades plus there are more trad routes/venues included in the 2012 guide. However, the 2012 guide doesn't include any bouldering at all but I believe a separate bouldering guide is in production which will include developments around St Aldhelms head and lulworth etc

If you only had the 2005 guide and went to Dorset you'd still have a lifetimes worth of climbing objectives.
 kedvenc72 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Papillon:

The 2005 guide also has some sport routes in Devon (Ansteys cove, Torbryan Quarry) that are not in the 2012 guide.
In reply to kedvenc72: Cheers for that.

CurlyStevo 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Papillon:
does it have photos or drawings if the later I'd get the new one.

with photos it much easier to see new lines that are not in the guide, with drawings it can be next to impossible to tell which are the listed lines and which are the new ones.
Post edited at 16:27
 kedvenc72 04 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

2005 and 2012 are both photo topos
 Max factor 04 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

i've got it and it has photos. Have always got on fine with it on the basis that the best lines and venues were bolted first. Route grades are pretty different in parts, particularly compared to the CC portland guide, but you can always look on UKC afterwards for the consensus.

No one mentioned coverage of Swanage trad yet too.
Kipper 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Papillon:

9 years?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...