UKC

Best Guidebook For Climbs In the South West

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 corinrathbone 06 Mar 2014
I'm looking for a good, up to date guidebook for the south west. Looking for trad and a bit of sport in the Bristol area. Unfortunately, I do not know which one is best. What would people recommend please?

Some of the ones that I was considering were:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0080X3LH8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i4?pf_r...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1873341377/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i3?pf_r...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0901601756/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_r...

Cheers,
Corin
 Os_878 06 Mar 2014
In reply to corinrathbone:

depends what you want...
If you want decent pictures & topo's then opition 1 is the best

If you want detail opition 3 (no images).
 The Pylon King 06 Mar 2014

If its just the Bristol area and not Devon and Cornwall then option 1 fits the bill perfectly. Loads of topos and pics and lots of crags not in the Rockfax.
 Choss 06 Mar 2014

You might want to Take into Account the definitive Avon and cheddar guide is being superceded in the 'Near' future, and that Edition doesnt contain the recent cheddar Sport routes etc.
 andrewmc 06 Mar 2014

For Cheddar presumably the best guide at the moment is the fairly recent Cheddar Gorge Climbs guide (not completely definitive though, and has the worst binding of any book I have ever owned).
 Chris Sansum 06 Mar 2014

South West Climbs is an excellent 'best of' book with selected climbs in loads of areas, many within reach of Bristol. It is a very recent book, so full of great colour photos, and more up to date information than the other books.

The Avon & Cheddar guidebook is more of a definitive guide to all of the climbing in the areas it covers, but is a bit older, so the crag diagrams are in black and white, and not quite as clear. The descriptions are easy to follow though.

It comes down to personal preference really - do you want a modern selected climbs guidebook covering more areas with nice glossy pictures, or a definitive guide in an older style covering all of the routes in the area at the time of publishing.

Not sure about the Rockfax. I seem to remember flicking through it and noticing it had a section on Lundy but then no route descriptions for the area! A bit strange, but on the other hand Rockfax books are known for lots of nice clear pictures, so it is probably a good selected climbs book for the areas it covers. It is also quite a recent book.

Which book you go for ultimately depends which particular areas you are likely to want to head to.
OP corinrathbone 12 Mar 2014

Thank you for all your advice.

I've just bought South West Climbs Volume 1 and I shall see how I get on. Good point about the definitive Avon and cheddar guide - it is nearly 10 years old, so I shall wait until the next version comes out (I assume it's 'relatively' soon).

Hopefully try it out in the Wye Valley this Saturday...

Cheers,
Corin
 Cheese Monkey 12 Mar 2014

Option 1 to get you started. Then option 3. Then Cheddar Gorge climbs. Then Fairy Cave & Lower Wye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...