UKC

Pedals - change from Look Delta?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave B 07 Mar 2014
Hi All

I've just got my new road shoes (hurrah!), and have just started transferring the cleats across from my (almost vintage) Look delta pedals. I see no particular reason to change... except I need another pair of pedals ideally and delta aren't really made any more - even by after market manufacturers ***at a reasonable price***. I can get some for about £50 off ebay, or if I'm lucky second hand for about £20, but is it worth it when look keo or other clipless can be had for quite a reasonable price (e.g. Exustar pedals for £20).

Then I've read that the gold standard 'look' that I got in 1989 and 1992 aren't gold standard any more, especially as a lot of the cheaper end of the market are resin and prone to wear... That Shimano may be better (on a campag 8 speed bike? No thanks) or speedplay are ace (too much money right now!)

What would you do? Stick with the delta or upgrade to a new pedal system... I have SPD on my MTN and commute bikes, and I dont want that on my road bikes.
 Bob 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave B:

I moved from Look Delta to Look Keo when my Deltas wore out. The cheapest Keo pedals are plastic (nylon) bodied and wear out quite quickly go up a model or two and the bit that the cleat slides across is metal so lasts a lot longer.
chrismcc 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave B:

Also moved from delta to Keo (max Carbon I think) - they feel nicer to use, easier in/ out in my opinion, and there were some good deals about particularly on this model. As said, these have the metal platform which is probably a good idea.

Chris
 JLS 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave B:

Wiggle seem to have delta cleats for £8.99

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-delta-cleats/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&...
OP Dave B 07 Mar 2014
In reply to JLS:

Thanks all... Having looked at the prices... I thnk I'll stick with delta for a while longer, as I can't afford the 100 plus it'll cost to get equivalent pedals in keo...

chrismcc 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave B:

Hi Dave,

Don't care about pushing anyone's product..... But.... Look Keo 2 cro mo 65 quid Merlin cycles, or carbon 80ish, never had any complaints with my bomb proof deltas... But I get e little bit of sad pleasure every time I clip the Keo carbons.....
 Liam M 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave B:

If you do go for Keos, make sure you have enough funds to keep replacing the cleats - they are made with the crumbliest of crumbly cheese.

Even with doing no more than a couple of steps without putting covers on my other half has gone through at least three sets before I've had to change my spd-sl cleats, and when they've gone they've done so with little warning mid ride.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...