UKC

Recommend a car for a tall person to sleep in the back of

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 07 Mar 2014
Looking to purchase a new car in the next few months. I'm looking for an estate car that I can sleep in the back of. The catch is that I am 6ft3" tall and it would be nice to get something that I can lie straight in! There would generally be two of us so sleeping diagonal would be against the rules.

Also:

Budget also slightly limited so anything executive will probably be out of my price bracket. Looking at vehicles around 10 years old. Decent mpg an important factor of course.

Any recomendations? Or is this all wishful thinking?

Cheers,
Lee
 George Ormerod 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Mondeo estate - I'm 6'2" and could sleep comfortably in it. There's probably some older cheap oneas around and the 2 l diesel did abour 55mpg.
OP Mr. Lee 07 Mar 2014
In reply to George Ormerod:

Cheers. Mondeos were the obvious car that I was thinking of. Vauxhall Omegas something else that I thought I might fit in.
 Tall Clare 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I know they don't get good reviews but a friend who's 6'6 can sleep in the back of their Vauxhall Insignia.
 Neil Williams 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Or possibly Vectra estate, they aren't quite as big as Omegas but are still pretty huge and generally cheaper than Mondys.

Neil
 Jack B 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I'm not quite that tall, but I can sleep with some spare space in the back of my Mk1 facelift ford focus estate. The back seats go completely flat, with no bump where they join the boot floor, which is nice.

I got it four years ago, 8 years old with 135k miles and a few dents for £1500. The petrol version is cheaper, but that mileage would seem a lot on a petrol.
 Kirbs01 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I've got a Vauxhall Vectra estate, I'm 6'1 and can lie straight in the back of mine. Seats fold flat and it's not too bad really. It's ok on fuel, I get 500-600 miles out of a full tank which costs £60-70 to fill (based on tank getting to low fuel warning level as opposed to completely empty). I've got the 1.9 diesel model. It's a big boring but it does the job.

Tom.
 deepstar 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

A Hearse.
 Robert Durran 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I'm 6'5" and have slept comfortably non-diagonally in my last three cars - a Mondeo estate (real luxury), a Focus estate and a Kia Ce'ed Estate. The size of the car is much less important than the way the seats configure. Best is if the bench part can be completely removed and then the back of the seat folded flat. The front seats can then be slid forward and the foot well filled with rucksacks etc. (it's all got to go somewhere anyway!) and topped with a comfy pillow. What doesn't work is if the bench just folds up vertically above the foot well using up all that useful space.
bigdelboy 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Do the bench seats come out of the Mondeo?

Jim Walton 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Toyota Avensis estate. Very comfortable. Now I don't know much about the mechanics of cars (Kelly's Heros Quote needed here)so this maybe wrong but but I'm told that the Avensis does not have a timing belt but a timing chain that does not need replacing every 60,000 miles. Infact I'm told that it doesn't need replacing. This is a huge cost saving for those of us who do not buy new cars.

I've no longer got mine (company car) but I found the Avensis well spec'd for the cost and very roomy. It is similar inside to an Audi A6.
OP Mr. Lee 07 Mar 2014
In reply to deepstar:
> (In reply to Big Lee)
>
> A Hearse.

Haha I was joking about a hearse the other day. Saw a london builder with one painted white the other day. He looked like the ghostbusters. The ones I've seen have been a bit expensive. I guess they generally have low mileage??
OP Mr. Lee 07 Mar 2014

Cheers Robert, I hadn't considered the Focus estate. Assumed it would be too short.
 Climber_Bill 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

They are a bit old now, but the Renault 21 was great. I am 6'4" and could sleep straight in with room to spare.
 Andrew Wilson 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Another vote for the mondeo. The rear seat splits so you can half of it flat and half as a seat, which is handy for keeping dry gear separate from other stuff. I sleep and cook in mine, I have a small piece of plywood I put on the carpet to set stove on, and when cooking open the boot. If the weather is bad just close the boot but wedge a trainer in it to keep it open enough not to gas you.
12v outlet in boot for powering gadgets.
A tall friend of mine recommended the Toyota avensis also, but I think the running costs on the ford would be better. The 2.0 TDCI does not skip a beat. I have put 60k on mine in less than 3 yrs and only serviced it and put brakes/tyres on.
Andy
 Alex Slipchuk 07 Mar 2014

What he said, I'd add if your rear windows are non electric it helps, also if you pop a large screwgate in the boot lock, it allows the boot to almost close making getting out easier in the morning. I'm 6'3" and can do it in an audi a3 sport back, although my previous astra estate was bigger. Flat boot base is best.
 Alex Slipchuk 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Meant to add, the hatchback/boot cover makes a great blind for the windscreen.
 victorclimber 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Volvo Estate
 sbc_10 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> a hearse. I guess they generally have low mileage??

The occupants tend to be on a one-way journey, towards the dead-centre of the town.

martinph78 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Audi A6 estate, huge and yet still good mpg for the diesels.
 Oli Greg 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Got an 06 Mondeo, slept in it a few times and at 6'2" I have plenty of room to stretch out in the boot. Another nice thing about the boot is there's no lip at the boot lid, so it's totally flat throughout, making a comfy seat for cooking etc. Usually get around 50/55mpg for 'normal' driving upto 60/65 for steady away on the motorway (sticking to 65/70mph). Just be careful if you get a TDCI, the turbos are commonly known to clog and fail, especially if the car has been used as a town car for while.

Plenty of space in the back for as much gear as you could ever need. Been able to get 3 bikes and associated gear/people for a few days camping/riding.
 Sharp 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Jack B:

> I'm not quite that tall, but I can sleep with some spare space in the back of my Mk1 facelift ford focus estate. The back seats go completely flat, with no bump where they join the boot floor, which is nice.

> I got it four years ago, 8 years old with 135k miles and a few dents for £1500. The petrol version is cheaper, but that mileage would seem a lot on a petrol.

Wow, that's very similar to what I bought 2/3 years ago. 2001 focus estate with 135k on the clock, now kicking 170k and about to die.

The boot is phenomenally well made, small wheel arches, completely flat, no raised bit out of the boot, boot raises up as a rain canopy...perfect sleeper. Very comfortable, although I'm 5'10 and can just about lie flat without any room to spare. If the mondeo is the same quality boot layout but bigger I'd expect it would suit the OP perfectly.
 deepstar 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> Haha I was joking about a hearse the other day. Saw a london builder with one painted white the other day. He looked like the ghostbusters. The ones I've seen have been a bit expensive. I guess they generally have low mileage??

Serious cool points though, turning up at somewhere like Stanage Popular and pulling your gear out of a Hearse.
 JJL 07 Mar 2014
In reply to deepstar:

> Serious cool points though, turning up at somewhere like Stanage Popular and pulling your gear out of a Hearse.

Even better at Gardoms
 Robert Durran 08 Mar 2014
In reply to bigdelboy:

> Do the bench seats come out of the Mondeo?

They did in mine.
 girlymonkey 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

You could just get lower leg amputations, then you will have many more to choose from!
 Morgan Woods 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Volvo V70.
windjammer 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

fiat doblo 1.9 multijet 120bhp mine does 40mpg cruzing about 75,im 6 foot 3 and sleep in back
OP Mr. Lee 13 Mar 2014
In reply to windjammer:

Thanks for all the replies. Mondeos sound the way forward then. I should be spared the embarrassment of having to fold down all the chairs to lie in the back for my first test drive. Actually moving to Norway but plenty of Mondeos for sale there at decent prices (although need to weigh up car sharing schemes vs. buying).

Hearses sound great for sleeping. They all seem to be variants of limousine models though so not cheap. Plus I am sure they will need commercial insurance due to the vehicle type despite social, domestic and pleasure only.
 StephenS 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I second a Volvo v70 - with experience
 Gwain 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Volvo V70, had one, or a VW Passat, know a couple of guys that have one. Both diesel options are pretty good mpg.
 david100 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

i am 6'4'' and have had a few comfortable nights in my ford focus estate.
 Hannes 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:
> Hearses sound great for sleeping. They all seem to be variants of limousine models though so not cheap. Plus I am sure they will need commercial insurance due to the vehicle type despite social, domestic and pleasure only.

I'm not so sure they do in Norway
 buzby 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> Thanks for all the replies. Mondeos sound the way forward then. I should be spared the embarrassment of having to fold down all the chairs to lie in the back for my first test drive. Actually moving to Norway but plenty of Mondeos for sale there at decent prices (although need to weigh up car sharing schemes vs. buying).

>Ha ha that's exactly what I did when I bought a golf estate 2nd hand ( im only 5 ft 9) no kicking of tyres or looking under the bonnet.
I was straight in the back with the seats down, got a real funny look from the sales guy.
OP Mr. Lee 16 Mar 2014
In reply to MartinPL:

Would need some curtains for privacy I reckon.
Fingal10 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I am 6'2" and i can sleep comfortably in my Volvo V50. It is 10 years old and i get between 48.6 and 52.8 mpg.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...