UKC

Longer Jackets ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pedro 08 Mar 2014
Hi, does anyone know of good quality jackets that are longer than the current style. Would like a breathable shell, waterproof , helmet compatible, etc. Any help great fully received.
 And Climb 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro: Montane Direct Ascent jacket comes up quite a bit longer than most. I don't own it though.

sbc_10 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

The original Mountain Equipment Changabang was longer than the current crop.
I have a feeling that ME shortened it, but there was sufficient outcry that a (separate?) company produced a longer version. Somebody with more than a a vague memory might confirm this.

Anyway, that was a few years ago now.

What about this?

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=28&products_id=61

...PHd have been known to tailor individual items for people. Maybe worth a phonecall to see if they could lengthen it.

t_hume 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:
I used to have (before it got nicked!) a Mountain Equipment Ogre. It was great. Great length, great cut, didn't rise up even when I waved my arms above my head like a loon but didn't feel remotely baggy. I'm 6'4.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/waterproof/ogre_jacke...

HTH
 Skol 08 Mar 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

I've got a 1999 Changabang. Bombproof and quite long. It nicely covers the groin, and backside. No problem with a harness. I also have a crap Rab event which doesn't cover my fleece. Far too short. 3 years ago, I went into a gear shop in the lakes, and had 3 staff offering cash for it. A great jacket!
 Alpenglow 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

ME Lhotse is meant to have a long cut
 Jack B 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

Paramo do longer jackets (Alta, Aspira) and some very long ones (Parajo, cascada). Quite different to a membrane jacket of course.

Other than that, jackets marketed to walkers are often a bit longer than those marketed to climbers. Though helmets can be a problem, as can getting at the pockets with a harness on.
 ColdWill 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

The new Kongur jacket is 5 cm longer than any of their other jackets and there quite long already. Haven't tried it so just going of the web site.
 alasdair19 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

the arcteryx sv is cut fairly long, durability seems good as well
 eschaton 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

haglofs couloir jacket is quite long, and trim as well, it covers crotch and bum easily but isnt restrictive.
 TobyA 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

Have a look at this year's Haglöfs ones, some seem to be designed for hikers who don't want to wear waterproof trousers - and come down to mid-thigh. Not sure if UK shops will have them though as they are a bit weird looking!
 PPP 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Jack B:

> Other than that, jackets marketed to walkers are often a bit longer than those marketed to climbers. Though helmets can be a problem, as can getting at the pockets with a harness on.

Not the case with ME jackets (i.e. Ogre).
 martinph78 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

The ME Lhotse is a reasonable length jacket.

Berghaus do a wide range of longer jackets but the hoods might not be helmet compatible as longer jackets are usually aimed at walkers rather than mountaineers.

Plus, it depends on what you consider "long".

OP Pedro 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Martin1978 and everyone who provided sage advice, Thank you all. I will look at your suggestions carefully. Perhaps manufacturers will note that not everyone likes their best bits wet !
Regards Pedro.
andyathome 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Pedro:

I'm with you! The current fashion for hip length shells jackets is simply stupid in the UK climate. We don't operate in dry/cold conditions. A decent skirt on a shell jacket has a lot going for it.

Give me some overlap!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...