UKC

Wanted: "Ski mountaineering in Scotland" book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DalesClimber 10 Mar 2014
As the title says, really! Does anyone have a copy of "Ski mountaineering in Scotland" or "Ski touring in Scotland" that they'd be willing to sell?

Copies of either seem to be thin on the ground.
 Andes 10 Mar 2014
In reply to DalesClimber:

There's a new edition coming out soon, but probably not in time for this season!
OP DalesClimber 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Andes:

That's good to hear - will it be out for next season, do you know?
 James Edwards 10 Mar 2014

I wouldn't hold your breath. It is at the end of a queue of several guidebooks and won't be in the shops for a few years.
James (SMC commitee member)

Never mind - hopefully I'll be able to locate a copy in the meantime.
 IanMcC 10 Mar 2014

£85 on Amazon
Srick 10 Mar 2014
In reply to IanMcC:

Really? Thats mad.. I'm afraid i just cant part with mine. Though for £85...

I did see the one on Amazon, but was hoping that it could be got for a bit less than£85!
 Martin W 10 Mar 2014
In reply to DalesClimber: The last few that sold on eBay seem to have gone for rather less eye-watering amounts: mid-£20 range.
 d_b 10 Mar 2014
In reply to IanMcC:

> £85 on Amazon

That's often resellers taking the 9155. The basic scam is:

1. Find out of print book.
2. Offer it for some an outrageously high price and an absurdly outrageously high price under different names.
3. Wait for someone to bite.
4. Pick it up for a quid at the local charity shop, or if that fails send an apologetic email and refund buyer.

It appears my problem is solved! Just found out I can borrow a copy.
 sarahjk 11 Mar 2014

I've got one, sent you a message on fb.

Sarah
 mcdweeb 11 Mar 2014

I think this book is inspirational rather than instructional, no bad thing imho.
The tours it recommends are either pretty obvious to anyone with a bit of common sense and experience or rarely in condition these days.
Good for someone who really doesn't know the Scottish Hills but planning a day out only requires a knowledge of current snow conditions and snow level, the forecast and perhaps the SAIS website. I find the web a more useful source of info these days.
That said its a lovely book of beautiful photos and (rather dry) trip reports...great for the armchair skier praying for snow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...