UKC

Tintern Quarry Thirty Foot Wall - warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 10 Mar 2014
Hi all

I've had a report that the lower-off on the route Box of Tricks on Thirty Foot Wall may be unsafe, and for that reason the route is best avoided until someone has had a look at it. Essentially a climber dislodged (thankfully without any injuries) a microwave-size block from underneath the lower-off, but the removal of this block has called into question the stability of the chunk of rock above holding the lower-off bolts.

I think I've got time to go have a look this afternoon, so may be able to confirm this report later. If it needs re-drilling someone else will need to step in I'm afraid - outside my field of expertise!

Cheers

Rick
OP Rick Sewards 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Rick Sewards:

I think I can give the all-clear on this one - I've checked the top of Box of Tricks and several routes to either side and all the lower-offs are in solid rock with no sign of any cracks or weakening. I couldn't see any sign of anything having come off Box of Tricks, though it looked like something might have come off the top of Ghetto Fabulous, but I don't think it will have significantly changed the route.

Rick
 kiwi boy 10 Mar 2014

Thanks rick for checking it out but to be honest I put my helmet on as soon as I get out the car at tintern. I am sure I will heading that way soon now the weather is better
Cheers Andy
OP Rick Sewards 10 Mar 2014
In reply to kiwi boy:

Absolutely, I've no intention of checking every report of a loose hold at Tintern Quarry! However, the possibility of a lower-off being affected seemed worth checking out.

Rick
OP Rick Sewards 13 Mar 2014

Hi all

I've had an update/correction on this report - the route in question is Hyperwar, on the right-hand side of the Thirty Foot Wall - this is the one with the lower off adjacent to the last bolt. I suggest avoiding this route until further notice - apparently a notice has been placed under the route.

Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...