UKC

Jetboil or something else?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattrm 10 Mar 2014
I'm looking to get a small jetboilesque stove for brews, boil in the bag food etc.

It's unlikely to be used at altitude, but probably will be taken to Scotland in the winter.

The options seem to be either a Jetboil (but which one?) or a MSR Reactor or Primus Eta Lite. Any opinions? Which is the best?
 1poundSOCKS 10 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm: MSR micro rocket and a titan kettle combination is a more flexible option, and probably lighter. I've got a micro rocket and it's a very powerful little stove.

Rick Graham 10 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Definitely something else for me.

I bought a Jetboil after a few recommendations. Waste of £60 for me.

Burnt my fingers adjusting the flame.
Scalded leg when the neoprene bit slipped off and the set up self destructed.
Piezo keeps stuffing up.

Any offers considered.

A lightweight kettle is a very good suggestion and any stove used with a good windshield.
 Kai 11 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Reactor is terrific if you need to melt snow, or if you need to cook in windy conditions. It's super hot and very wind resistant. If you want something compact, buy the Reactor with the 1 liter pot.

Jetboil is terrible in any sort of wind.

nw 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Kai:
Cut open and roll out a can of stella, hey presto instant windshield which fits into the neoprene sleeve.

seankenny 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

Well there you go, I love mine and find it very convenient.

DSFDF I guess.
 Rick Graham 11 Mar 2014
In reply to seankenny:

you're welcome
In reply to mattrm:
I have a Jetboil Sol and Rate it highly fast and compact ideal for 2xTeas
Care is needed to avoid burning Yourself, Alternatively I often use A Msr MicroRocket and Titan Kettle just as good.
 Pedro 12 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Jetboil every time for me. [new idea ! , poor boiling water over noodles in an insulated mug. Take raw eggs in a "zipped" poly bag with added grated cheese etc. Dip poly bag into boiling water to make scrambled egg. Add to noodles when they are done. You may not fancy it at home but on the hill its fine.]
OP mattrm 13 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

I currently have an Edlreid Kiro, which is similar to stuff like the MSR Pocket Rocket. I was really looking for an integrated all in one job with the heat exchanger and windshield all in one.

I guess the cheap option would be to make/buy a better wind shield for my current stove.

Pedro - I already cook stuff like that a fair bit as it is.
 thedatastream 13 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:
After considering the Jetboil and the Reactor I went for a Primus ETA Express as it gave me slightly more options for doing proper cooking rather than just heating water.

It's OK, the windshield on my model isn't the best but I supplement it with some tinfoil on sticks.

The heat exchanger rim on the pot is rather clever and really does work well! The little frying pan lid is pointlessly cool also
Post edited at 10:12
 wilkie14c 13 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

The jetboil is what it is - an outdoor kettle and it is brilliant at it. Mine is the very first generation and its still going stong and complete with the original igniter and it has seen a lot of use, use it for cragging, walking and fishing. combined with the cleverly designed stabiliser and pan adaptor it makes a very good, fairly light system. for cooking though I prefer the pocket rocket and titan pan combo, the burner and gas can fits inside the pan and you can cook supernoodles with chopped frankfurters and stuff like that fairly easily. For making a brew though, JB is king IMO
 planetmarshall 13 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

I have an MSR Reactor. It does one thing really, really well - and that is boil water ( or melt snow ). If you want to do anything else, such as actually cook, it is completely useless.

Andrew.
 cuthill76 13 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

I am interested in this topic as I am planning on buying a new stove.

I want to like jetboil (I have a normal one and a Helios) as they were great for the first year I had them but now they give me nothing but problems. Both seem to have an issue with the value choking up resulting in poor gas flow and the flame being very weak, very annoying when you are out on a cold and wet day. I have tried to clean them, blow through value etc but to no avail, the performance has been so poor over the last year that I have no confidence in taking them out anymore.

I have asked about returning them to Jetboil directly but they put me in contact with the UK distributor and they quite rightly asked about the receipts for proof of purchase but they are long gone! So I am stuck with mine and looking for alternatives. It is a real shame because as others comment they are great when they work.

Cheers.
 Ciderslider 13 Mar 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

+1 - and it roars and the logo lights up
 Womble 13 Mar 2014
In reply to cuthill76:

Hi,

I know what you mean with the clogging up. I bought my jetboil off ebay from a guy who claimed it was broken. If you unscrew the small copper coloured bolt that produces the jet then leave it in boiling water for a while few times it tends to clean it out well.

Just remember to screw it back on tightly or you get fire everywhere!!

It ended up with me getting a working jetboil for under £20 which automatically means I love it.
 cuthill76 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Womble:

Nice one I shall give that a try.

Cheers
 Loughan 14 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

vote for MSR pocket rocket with MSR stainless pan set.
you can fit everything into the pans (pocket rocket, wind shield, tea, coffee, chocolate, sporks, gas canister stand, wooden spoon), just don't for get the gas!

Oh and some boiled sweets to hand out while you wait for the water to boil

I've carted that setup around for years although admittedly it's not been used in very cold conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...