UKC

Snow cover in the Highlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 11 Mar 2014
Going up somewhere this weekend.

Possibly SW Cairngorms / hills above Beinn a Ghlo / Glen Tilt but wary of commiting to a long route above 600m with potentially deep soft snow. Anyone up there in the last few days able to comment on both the snow line and depth of snow.
 Billhook 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=580884

Over on the winter climbing bit of the forum you';ll find lots of other posts & stuff to give you an idea.
 nathan79 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I was up Schiehallion today. Snow line was maybe 6/700m. Knee deep in very few places, normally shallower. North side of the Lawers rang.e looked like there was still shedloads
 Jim Braid 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I was up Carn an t-Sagairt Mor from Glen Callater yesterday. Snow around 2,500' and firm compact neve with a thin covering of fresh snow blown about. Had the crampons on most of the time. There was hardly any deep soft snow. I'll put up a photo to give you an idea.

SAIS Southern Cairngorms blog might be helpful.
 pamph 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I was on the Cairngorm plateau yesterday (Monday) and the snow was hard neve, so crampons on for most of the walk. Snow a wee bit soggy coming down, but nothing horrendous.
OP Flinticus 11 Mar 2014
Thanks guys. Sounds good. Hope conditions hold for a few more days.
 Jim Braid 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

There's a couple of photos now up from my walk on Carn an t-Sagairt Mor.
OP Flinticus 23 Mar 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I can confirm snow cover more extensive and deeper in the west than most of the winter (from speaking with people.) Just back and the munros are covered in a thick coating but at the heights I got to on two graham, 750m, its soft and forming v deep drifts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...